Power Limit Changed Helios 300 PH317-53-750A

dcetinol84dcetinol84 Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
Hi,
I am using ThrottleStop for almost a year and I was happy with it. I had Cinebench score of 3000 points. Everything was ok. But last night I did another test and my score was around 2700. I poked around some log files. Before, during Cinebench and other stress tests, the power was limited to 56W after throttling. But now log files and TS shows that after throttling the power is limited to 45W! Also throttling happens quicker than before (before reaching extreme temperatures) Why is this happening? Did something change with a windows update? Is there something I can do? The BIOS is still the same (1.08).

FAQ & Answers

• LeostatLeostat Member Posts: 1,288 Overclocked Contributor
    It's based on heat most the time, what's the proc temp when it drops?
    If you found the comment helpful hit the like button, If the answer solves your Q, hit the yes button on the bottom of the post! 
  • dcetinol84dcetinol84 Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    Hello,

Yeah it's the heat and and I'm ok that it's throttling. My problem is that a few months ago the power limit was higher. Now somehow maybe with some windows update it's lower. And that affects Cinebench score and relatively performance. You may find the logs of the same test before and after the update. In the logs you may see the power drops.

Before: 63W-> 56W
    Now: 63W -> 45W
    The Pl is based on the heat! So higher temp means lower power, it's hitting 92 and then pulling back, my guess is something like the VRM temp is still to high for it to drop to the PL1 limit so its hanging at the "standard" wattage. 

Any changes in the config of throttlestop / what settings have you applied? and does HW info show your other temps like VRM :)?
    If you found the comment helpful hit the like button, If the answer solves your Q, hit the yes button on the bottom of the post! 
    To be honest I didn't change a single setting!

Did you have a look at both log files? Before, as the temp gets high, I was having PL1 flag and package power was getting reduced to 56W. This OK. Now with same settings and same test, I'm having PL2 flag and package power is getting reduced to 45W.

Maybe I did get some update about Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework and this is forcing to 45W. That wasn't the case before. That what worries me. Maybe this happened with Windows 10 20H2 update I don't know.

On another note: Now when I press Turbo button, I get more performance and power is kicked back to 56W. But before I was having the same performance without Turbo button active :)

Note: I couldn't find where is VRM temp in HWInfo
    Yeh it eems to hit 90 very fast which is why i was wondering if it was temps of something else other than the CPu which was topping out, shame hw info doesnt have more info :(may be worth de-dusting to see if there is just stuff clogged in it
    I tried de-dusting. I even opened the back of the machine and cleaned the dust but no change :) I still believe this is related to some latest Windows updates :( I hope it'll be fixed one day.

By the way (maybe you noticed on the logs) this scenario happens with 6 cores running at 4.0. When I run it at 36 or 37 I don't have any problems while gaming. I finished 100hours of Valhalla without any problems. But still it bothers me :)

@Leostat thank your for your care and sparing time for your replies.
    @Leostat
    Do you believe it is a possibility that CPU paste is somehow damaged after 8 months? If so I can contact technical service and have it repasted.