Flashed BIOS and user profiles gone A515-44-R41B

gjp
gjp Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Was having a number of minor problems with my A515-44-R41B and decided to flash the newest BIOS (1.12) after which user profiles are gone and the desktop seems to be reset to stock. Have restarted multiple times with no resolution...

Any ideas for ways to restore these profiles short of creating a new admin user profile and copying files from the old user folders (i.e. trying to avoid needing to reset all the preferences, shortcuts, etc.)?

Thanks! 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    gjp said:
    Was having a number of minor problems with my A515-44-R41B and decided to flash the newest BIOS (1.12) after which user profiles are gone and the desktop seems to be reset to stock. Have restarted multiple times with no resolution...

Any ideas for ways to restore these profiles short of creating a new admin user profile and copying files from the old user folders (i.e. trying to avoid needing to reset all the preferences, shortcuts, etc.)?

Thanks! 
    The bios v1/12 for the A515-44 is only to "Enhance system performance" that Acer states, if you had other problems none performance related then this bios flash was useless and did nothings. Note: with bios flashes you only do them to fix what the title of the bios update fixes, its not like a usual software update that you do just for the sake of it. There is no way that a bios update flash will "after which user profiles are gone and the desktop seems to be reset to stock". 

Anyway, if your bios was updated to the V1.12 and is working 100% and correctly, nothing that you will do will reinstate the "user profiles and/or the desktop to stock" its got nothing to do with the bios! Reset all these things manually and within Win-10. Mucking around and/or modding the bios is a recipe for a bricked laptop and you should not attempt anything with your bios. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Look in the Windows.old folder under C: for the old profile. That is usually not caused by a BIOS update (I can't think of any way it could be) but by an OS reset, refresh or upgrade. It also might be you created a new profile if you changed from a local user to using a Microsoft account, or visa versa. If the profile is there you can take control of it by changing the owner (which you might not have to do) and copy everything to your user profile under C:\Users.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gjp
    gjp Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks for the responses. Admittedly I understand little about BIOS updates but recognize the update itself should not have anything to do with the user profiles; nevertheless, that was the end result...

billsey:
    Can't say for certain about the local vs. MS account though I know I changed things back and forth *after* the user profiles seemed to vanish in an attempt to address the problem. Is there a good primer for finding/taking control of the old profile and/or copying over things in such a way that I won't need to reset everything? 

Thanks!