Low performance with a Predator Helios 300 (2021) model. Request if you folks could please help!

mahendru1992
mahendru1992 Member Posts: 5 New User

Okay, so a few days back I bought the Helios 300 with the following relevant specs: -

Intel Core i7 10870h
RTX 3060 100W TDP
16GB RAM 2933 Mhz

I've also undervolted the CPU by about -100.6mV and overclocked the GPU by 150MHz on the core clock and 200 MHz on the memory clock. It's pretty stable right now with no crashes or BSOD.

CPU Max Temp: 83C
GPU Max Temp: 69C

But, I'm facing a very strange problem, which I hope you guys would be able to solve

Cyberpunk runs horribly on this laptop. With a mix of ultra, high and medium setting, with RT on medium and DLSS enabled and set to quality, I'm not getting the framerates that I should be with this notebook.

It pretty much varies from 20-50 FPS, with an average of about 31FPS. I can confirm that there's no thermal throttling either with the CPU or the GPU.

If you see this video (around 7 min mark), you can notice that he's pretty stable with ultra RT and getting 55 to 60 FPS. Now granted, his GPU has 5W more power, but then it doesn't make sense that my GPU would underperform so much and I haven't even enabled ultra yet. It's just perplexing and really disappointing. Hell even a RTX 2060 performs much better than this laptop for some reason.

Could the reason be the slow single channel RAM? It's a CL 21. Because both my GPU and CPU stay majorly at 60-80% usage with spikes of a 90% on the GPU rarely. I don't think the CPU bottleneck is the issue here, but if someone could pls help me regarding this, I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

Answers

• iyidebanane
    iyidebanane Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Could the reason be the slow single channel ram?  Yess. You must add another with the same values.
  • mahendru1992
    mahendru1992 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Could the reason be the slow single channel ram?  Yess. You must add another with the same values.
    There's a slight complication here. I have a 7 day return window. I can buy another RAM and if it were up to me, I'd install it myself too, but it's under warranty and due to the ongoing situation of covid in my country and the subsequent lockdown, I can't call the service center guys. Totally confused if I should return the laptop or not. 
  • iyidebanane
    iyidebanane Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924DNcai3Sk
    You can review this video. It will be more revealing.