Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51. How many nvme m.2 slots? can we find a list of compatible SSD?

Options
KIMSOYENS
KIMSOYENS Member Posts: 3 New User
Wanted to upgrade my SSD. 
Do we have a second m.2 nvme slot? or do i need to upgrade my existing one?
Reason i'm asking is i don't want to reformat my windows by upgrading my SSD.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @KIMSOYENS

Have you thought about using an USB external HDD, burn system image there, then replace old M.2 drive with new one, then restore the system image to the new M.2 drive.
  • KIMSOYENS
    Options
    do you mean i'll make an image(ISO) file of my whole SSD then save it on an external drive. Replace my SSD, then restore it using the ISO file? im confused.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @KIMSOYENS

Apparently you have not done this before, I'll try to be more specific.

Since Helios 300 is a laptop, I really doubt if there is another M.2 slot for storage (other than the 2230 form factor one for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth). For desktops, it is more common for motherboards having two M.2 slots.

Insert the external USB HDD ( or USB external SSD, for faster performance) to one of the available USB ports ( USB 3.0/ USB 3.1 gen 2  port preferred).

In W10 search field of the task bar, type Control Panel

Look for Backup and Restore (Windows 7) under the System and Security section

In left pane, select the middle option (Create System Image), select it and follow instructions. Depending on how much data that you have, this process can take two hours. Your old M.2 SSD stuff will be stored in this image.
    When done, you may be asked to burn a repair disc ( or something like bootable USB flash drive?). Do it if W10 give you such an option.

Shutdown laptop, AC line unplugged, laptop battery taken out to be safe

Open up the laptop and replace the old M.2 SSD with the new one 

I do not know if the ALT+F10 option is available for Helios 300. I guess it should.

Battery and  and AC plug back in. When boot up , hold down the ALT ( or ALT+ Fn key) and press F10 key three times a second until you see "Please Wait" or see the Restore Menu comes up.
    If ALT+F10 method not available, you may need to bootup from the Repair Disc or Bootable Flash Drive previously created

Troubleshoot ->Advanced Options->System Image Recovery

Follow instructions there, just make sure W10 is reading from this external HDD/SSD for image.

This process will take maybe an hour, so be patience!

Remove the external HDD after that.

Before the first new M.2 SSD boot, bootup to the BIOS first, hit F9 (or Fn +F9) to load Optimized Defaults, and F10 (to save and exit).
    This time it should boot to your new M.2 SSD.

The image restoring method will need an external HDD/SSD, but I believe it is more reliable than cloning software. 

• ttttt
    Options
    @KIMSOYENS

I forgot to answer your latest question. Yes!, using external drive to save the whole SSD with ISO and then migrate everything to the new drive.
  • KIMSOYENS
    Options
    ok that's alot of info there and thank you. maybe hard for me to follow since i'm not a tech guy but will try my best to follow this.
    Just a question, do i need to install windows10 on the new SSD I installed or i just immediately restore with my image file?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @KIMSOYENS

That is the main purpose of the image restore method that you do not need to install W10 again with the new SSD. All data from the old SSD will be transferred there too.