Why am I getting a black screen for Chromebook Tab 10 D651N.

TK02
TK02 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Tablets
I have Chromebook Tab 10 for personal use, now a days I can't  do anything  with it. Screen will go black even with the background light on. If I am watching something than it will keep playing in the background but I only see black screen. I have notice that sometimes it will glitch before black screen coming but other times it will happen without any glitch. Even with the sign-in page, it will be black screen for few moments and I can sign-in after going back and forth few times. I have to hold the power button to turn it off and on to sign properly in. I have factory reset it 3 times now in 2 months but after few days it will start acting up again. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    What model do you have? There have a been a bunch of different Tab 10s, though not as many have also been running ChromeOS. Depending on the screen technology used, the backlight might be glitching out. When in error mode can you shine a flashlight on the screen at an angle and see the display you expect (except for brightness of course)? If so it might be a loose cable, a bad display or a bad backlight board. We will need to know the full model number to dig into it farther. If you are still in warranty I'd go ahead and contact Acer support, since the root cause is almost certainly hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TK02
    edited May 2021
    M            
  • TK02
    billsey said:
    What model do you have? There have a been a bunch of different Tab 10s, though not as many have also been running ChromeOS. Depending on the screen technology used, the backlight might be glitching out. When in error mode can you shine a flashlight on the screen at an angle and see the display you expect (except for brightness of course)? If so it might be a loose cable, a bad display or a bad backlight board. We will need to know the full model number to dig into it farther. If you are still in warranty I'd go ahead and contact Acer support, since the root cause is almost certainly hardware.
    Model is D651N. It doesn't display anything with the flashlight. I don't  have a warranty any more, I bought it in Sep 2018.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi TK02,

Try to do reset,
    1. Press Power Button to  Turn off your Acer Chromebook Tab 10.
    2. Now, Press Volume Down+Power Button  For 10 to 15 Seconds.
    3. You will See Recovery mode on your mobile screen.
    4. Use Volume button select “recovery ” to confirm by pressing the power button
    5. Select Wipe Data three times to confirm the Power Button.
    6. After that Select Ok  To Clear all your data to confirm press by the power button.
    7. After that Back to confirm it by the power button.
    8. From recovery mode select “reboot system”. It will Hard Reset your Acer Chromebook Tab 10