Firefox is dropping packets when downloading large files then stops on Acer Aspire A315-56

desbest
desbest Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon
Firefox is dropping packets when downloading large files then it stops downloading the file. I'm using Windows 10 20H2 and Aspire A315-56.

Below is what I've already tried

• Using Windows Update
  • Updating all the programs in the Microsoft Store
  • Updating my drivers
  • Running netcut (to prevent others on the same wifi network from disconnecting me)
  • Using sfc and dism scans
  • Using chkdsk scans
  • Having the correct amount set for virtual memory
  • Running Firefox as administrator
  • Making sure that under Power Management my network adapter doesn't switch off to save power
  • Under Power Plan settings making sure my hard drive doesn't switch off to save power
  • Changing my DNS servers to 1.1.1.1 cloudflare
  • Clearing my DNS cache in Firefox under about:networking
  • Deleting my cookies in firefox
  • Checking my ping on the command line using the "ping google.com" command. No packets are dropped there.
  • Clearing the DNS cache in windows using various ipconfig and netsh commands on the command line
  • Using a VPN

Any other ideas?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Does the same happen over a wired connection?

If its happening when using a VPN, is there any AV installed?
  • desbest
    edited May 2021
    It happens with the VPN on or off.
    I can't use a wired connection as I don't have access to a router so I can't use an ethernet wire.
    I'm using Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Microsoft Defender Firewall.
  • Leostat
    Could try turning realtime protection off during the download, could be causing a blip
  • desbest
    I turned off real time protection and it's still happening. Not just in Firefox, but also in Microsoft Edge.
  • Leostat
    Is it one particular site its failing on or on any site? To check if you download an ubuntu iso does it cut out
  • desbest
    I think the problem was caused by using a public wifi hotspot and someone else who's connected to it doing some sort of attack. It could be a man in the middle (MITM) or [URL="https://www.raymond.cc/blog/protect-your-computer-against-arp-poison-attack-netcut/"]ARP spoofing attack[/URL]. Because when I tried to access gmail with the VPN off I got an error but there was no error when I turned it on. Data that is transmitted through a public wifi hotspot travels through the air unencrypted, which is why TLS (or https://) that shows the secure padlock in the web browser is important,