Buying a spare Helios 500 PH517-51 GPU Fan / Saving my laptop

NammorNammor Member Posts: 6 New User
edited May 4 in Predator Laptops
Hello everybody, I'm joining this forum because I'm in a bit of a trouble.

I've bought an ACER PREDATOR Helios 500 PH517-51-72EC back in August 2018 and even though its is a fantastic laptop I've had a major problem with it : fans.

Last year, while I was still under warranty, the CPU fan started to make a low throttling sound, and over about 2 months the sound started to become louder and louder and the temperature rose.
I sent it to ACER support and they replaced the CPU fan aswel with a new layer of thermal paste. 

However now, I year later, I'm starting to hear the same low throttling sound but this time it's the GPU fan (and I'm no longer under warranty).

At first I sound I'd just open it and add a bit of oil to try and fix it. However I realized the fan was entirely closed and I couldn't add any oil.

So I tried looking at spare parts online, however as far as I can tell, the GPU fan is no longer sold online and there's no longer production of it. 
For exemple : 
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001125449426.html
Every website seems to produce the CPU fan but not the GPU fan. 

I've only found a single website selling it but it looks a bit sketchy and it is over 120$
https://www.laptop-coolers.com/laptop-fan-for-delta-ns8cc01-17j06-us76123.html

So I am asking for help, right now my computer is definitely usable but I know over the upcoming month it will only get worse. 
I'm a 3D Modeling student and I really don't have the money to buy a new computer, especially since I need it for work.

Can I buy parts from ACER directly ? Or would I need to send my laptop again but pay a much greater price ? 

FAQ & Answers

• AnhEZ28AnhEZ28 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner
    I think you can try to take the fan sticker out and add some oil. If not, you can try to contact acer for the fan price.
  • NammorNammor Member Posts: 6 New User
    AnhEZ28 said:
    I think you can try to take the fan sticker out and add some oil. If not, you can try to contact acer for the fan price.
    Do you mean that flat, bronze colored metal part behind the fan sticker ?

Ill try it out and keep you updated

• Red-SandRed-Sand ACE Posts: 1,836 Pathfinder
    Both fans are identical, one is just flipped over to reverse its airflow.
    If you can find a "CPU" fan just get that, it will work fine.
    - Hotel Hero
    Red-Sand said:
    Both fans are identical, one is just flipped over to reverse its airflow.
    If you can find a "CPU" fan just get that, it will work fine.
    Wait... So you're saying I can buy a CPU fan like this one 

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001018791631.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.380a3fcc597AJg&algo_pvid=187b76fb-368f-449e-b633-636a32378d59&algo_expid=187b76fb-368f-449e-b633-636a32378d59-1&btsid=2100bdd516200293832992035e26c6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Flip it over when I install it and it will work ? There will be no problem with screws or something ? Also since you say it's flipped over, will it not impact the airflow of the pc ? 

Sorry if it seems like stupid question, I just want to be 100% sure.
    Because I just looked and the screws don't really fit, and even the fan blades aren't the same size.

• RAID3RRAID3R Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited May 3
    2:25 min
    With this method, I once gave a new life to my non-disassemble (Nidec) fan from my old laptop Sony VPCSA (used fan lubricant QML-2)
    I have plans to use this method in the future also for my Helios 500
    This problem with fans, I think it is a mechanical problem
  • RAID3RRAID3R Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited May 3
    Original fans Helios 500
    CPU Fan model: DELTA Electronics NS8CC00-17J05
    GPU Fan model: DELTA Electronics NS8CC01-17J06
    Thank you for the video, I don't really understand what you're saying in it but i'll try to copy your actions if I can't find any replacement for the NS8CC01-17J06.

I contacted ACER, I'm waiting for an answer on their part. 
  • heyheywillheyheywill Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

@Nammor All he is doing is taking the fan apart and adding lubricant. Fixes for a while but a requires maintenance every few months.