Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57A4 powers off randomly while not on battery. Replace battery?

Nol
Nol Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hey, friends,

My Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57A4 powers off randomly while using battery power. It does not do this while plugged in. Yesterday, while unplugged, it quickly and suddenly powered off and would not power back on until I plugged it back in to the power cable. However, the battery has sufficient charge (90%) when this happens. Seems like this problem has gotten worse over the past year. 

I looked around online for solutions and some people suggested the battery could be shorting out and needs to be replaced. Does this sound correct?

If so, where can I find a replacement battery for my specific model? I can't find my model number listed on any battery component listing. Do all E 15 E5-575's use the same battery? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Domallk-Replacement-E5-575-59QB-E5-575-33BM-AS16A5K/dp/B07P25DJPZ

Thanks for the help.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    A new battery pack will likely fix the  problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

if the full charge capacity is 50% or less of the design capacity, you should get a replacement. The amazon replacement battery seems fine.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Nol,

# Power drain,

1.Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2. Shutdown the unit.
    3. Search for a pinhole on the backside of your laptop, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole, press and hold it down for 25 seconds. Then release the paperclip and try to turn on the unit and check.​
  • Nol
    Is this the report you're looking for? It looks like my battery is getting close to 50%.

• JackE
    Still seems to have enough capacity left. But it's possilbe the battery pack's internal charge and voltage regulator might be failing. Try this.
    Open Device Manager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers that you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on and let Windows automatically redetect the battery & charge hardware and install fresh copies of their drivers.See what happens when you pull the plug again at 90% or less but not with high power demand apps or games running. High power demand can sometimes exceed the amperes or current the battery can deliver by itself even when new. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nol
    Easwar said:
    Hi Nol,

# Power drain,

1.Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2. Shutdown the unit.
    3. Search for a pinhole on the backside of your laptop, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole, press and hold it down for 25 seconds. Then release the paperclip and try to turn on the unit and check.​
    Hey, Easwar,

I tried this but I couldn't feel a button behind the hole. Not sure if I actually pressed anything with the paperclip.

JackE said:
    Still seems to have enough capacity left. But it's possilbe the battery pack's internal charge and voltage regulator might be failing. Try this.
    Open Device Manager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers that you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on and let Windows automatically redetect the battery & charge hardware and install fresh copies of their drivers.See what happens when you pull the plug again at 90% or less but not with high power demand apps or games running. High power demand can sometimes exceed the amperes or current the battery can deliver by itself even when new. Jack E/NJ
    Hey, JackE,

I tried this too. I guess the drivers reinstalled upon boot because they were back in the batteries driver folder when I checked. I'm currently running my machine on battery power to see if it lasts. Ill update you once I've drawn a conclusion if the issue still exists.

Thank you both!

Nol
  • Nol
    Welp, that didn't take long. My computer shut itself off after less than 5 minutes on battery power.

Nol
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

Jack E/NJ

• Nol
    JackE said:
    Thank you so much for the help!