Acer Swift 3 SF313-53-503A USB-C Charging

Options
m1nt
m1nt Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi,
I recently purcharsed my new Swift 3 laptop (SF313-53-503A) and I'm satisfied with it.
But I wonder if I could charge it via USB-C port. I removed all the stickers on my laptop, but as I remember, that USB-C port is named Thunderbolt 4.
If I can charge via Thunderbolt 4 port, does the charger have to meet a standard? Like 20V-5A or something like that
I own a 65W charger and also purchased a 100W charger, can I charge my laptop with these two?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8631

Answers

• m1nt

Tinkerer

Options
    On Intel website they say Thunderbolt 4 supports up to 100W charging so I hope I can charge it with my 100W charger.
  • Athwart
    Athwart Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    m1nt said:
    On Intel website they say Thunderbolt 4 supports up to 100W charging so I hope I can charge it with my 100W charger.
    The SF313-53 manual (p14) says:

USB Type-C information
    • USB 3.2 Gen 2 with transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps.
    • Supports DisplayPort™ audio/video output.
    • Compatible with Thunderbolt™ 4.
    • Delivers up to 3 A at 5 V DC for USB charging.
    • DC-in: requires power adapter or power source providing 65 W at 20 V.
    For optimal performance, please use a certified Acer power adapter or USB Power Delivery device.

So you should be right with the 65W charger you have. Using the 100W charger might be risky though.
  • Athwart
    Options
    Athwart said:
    So you should be right with the 65W charger you have. Using the 100W charger might be risky though.
    As a follow up, I found a youtube video of a guy testing various chargers on a Swift 5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gAr9BQ9qs
    Bottom line was that 65W chargers worked, 90W charger & some low wattage chargers didn't.
  • m1nt

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Options
    Athwart said:
    Athwart said:
    As a follow up, I found a youtube video of a guy testing various chargers on a Swift 5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gAr9BQ9qs
    Bottom line was that 65W chargers worked, 90W charger & some low wattage chargers didn't.
    Thank you so muchhhh this video is really helpful. 
    The fact that 90W charger didn’t work really makes me feel disappointed :(
    But that Swift 5 USB-C port is Thunderbolt 3 so I still hope my Thunderbolt 4 port will allow up to 100W charging...
  • Athwart
    Options
    @m1nt
    Since you already have both 65W & 100W chargers, I guess you can just try them. At least the Swift 5 in the youtube video didn't blow up with the 90W charger!!
  • m1nt

Tinkerer

Options
    Athwart said:
    @m1nt
    Since you already have both 65W & 100W chargers, I guess you can just try them. At least the Swift 5 in the youtube video didn't blow up with the 90W charger!!
    My friend borrowed 65W charger and the 100W charger is not yet shipped  :#
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options
    A 100W charger should work fine, as long as it's providing the same 20V. It won't be any faster than the 65W though since the current is determined by the charging circuit rather than the charger. If you tried, for instance, a 45W charger it would either charge slowly or not at all because the charger couldn't keep up with the demand, but a larger charger can handle that demand, so will work fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • m1nt

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    A 100W charger should work fine, as long as it's providing the same 20V. It won't be any faster than the 65W though since the current is determined by the charging circuit rather than the charger. If you tried, for instance, a 45W charger it would either charge slowly or not at all because the charger couldn't keep up with the demand, but a larger charger can handle that demand, so will work fine.
    Do you mean my Thunderbolt port is only capable of 65W?
    And my 65W charger can provide 20V output so I guess it will work. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, it's not a limitation of the port, it's just what the draw is from the charging circuit. The Thunderbolt port doesn't melt or pop a fuse with a higher wattage charger, because it doesn't try to pull more amperage than it's designed for.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.