Aspire E5-575 USB ports keep dying

sarahksarahk
sarahksarahk Member Posts: 2 New User
I am not sure if anyone else has had this experience with the same model (or similar) laptop.  I am trying to see if it's a common occurrence, or if anyone who's had this happened has had it repaired at all.  I am afraid it cannot be repaired easily and that I will have to consider getting a new computer instead.

I bought my laptop 3.5 years ago, so the additional protection plan I got for it is unfortunately over.

The laptop has 3 regular USB ports - one on the right, 2 on the left, with an additional USB-C port behind the HDMI and Ethernet connections.  About 2-3 months ago, I had a USB mic attached to the one on the right, and was using the laptop on a small table while on the couch.  I remember getting zapped with static electricity when I touched it after sitting back down at one point, and the people I was speaking to heard a strange sound from my mic, then the mic did not work any longer.  The light on the mic still lit up, but the USB port no longer registered the device as being plugged in.  I plugged it into a different one on the other side, and now the computer could read it.  Everything seemed fine, but that port no longer worked for anything.  I thought I had messed it up with the static electricity shock somehow, but had 2 USB ports still working so I shrugged it off (one which the entire time has had a receiver for a wireless mouse in it).  A week ago, I was in the middle of watching something when the computer made the sound signifying something being unplugged from the USB.  I thought that was strange since I literally wasn't touching anything.  When I went to move the mouse a couple minutes later, it didn't move.  I changed the battery in the mouse, but still nothing.  I remembered the sound, and tried taking the receiver out of its current spot and plugging it in to the one remaining USB port.  The computer then recognized it as being plugged in again.  I tried my USB mic in its old spot, and while the light came on, the computer did not recognize it as being plugged in.  I decided to use a converter for the USB-C port and plugged my mouse's receiver in there so I'd still have the one remaining regular USB port available.  A few hours ago, the USB-C port stopped working as well.  I do not have any additional devices with USB-C connections to test it, but anything else plugged into the converter there does not work.

I am now down to the one last USB port that still works, and am using the trackpad only on my laptop to not have anything plugged in there.  I am worried that it will do the same thing soon, and that I will no longer have any working USB ports on my computer.  If anyone has experienced this, please let me know.

Before anyone replies about it being a driver issue - it's not.  I have done all the available steps for checking / re-installing the USB hub drivers and etc and I believe this is a hardware issue, not a software one.  

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sarahksarahk
    sarahksarahk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry I didn't realize anyone had replied!  In Device Manager everything looks normal.  I really think it's some sort of issue with the way the ports are connected internally to the rest of everything.  Unfortunately, my last working one gave out in the middle of a Roll20 session a couple hours ago :(  
    If you have any other ideas I'm happy for any help.  May have to find someone good to repair things, though.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    >>>Before anyone replies about it being a driver issue - it's not.  I have done all the available steps for checking / re-installing the USB hub drivers >>>

Right click and uninstall ALL the device  drivers you find in the USB controllers folder in DeviceMgr. Then exit DeviceMgr without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Press F9 to set BIOS defaults. Then press F10 to save this default setting and exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ