Aspire A315-34 Bought May 2020 Battery Won't Charge

RobBrennan
RobBrennan Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hi all
I have bought an Aspire 3 last year first hand and since Christmas (ie 9 months) the laptop powers on and works but the battery remains at 0% and doesn't charge up. This means if I knock the power lead out the laptop stops working immediately. For the first nine months of ownership the battery would charge up fully fine. I would love to get this fixed as it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what to do. Help! I am still using the original lead.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>I have bought an Aspire 3 last year first hand and since Christmas (ie 9 months) the laptop powers on and works but the battery remains at 0% and doesn't charge up.>>>

Sorry, if this was caused by a software update, its automatic restore point has already been deleted. My guess it's hardware related. Probably the battery's own internal charge controller. Since this machine should still be under warranty, you should arrange for a warranty repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

I don't really understand what you have typed. Go to the elevated command prompt?? I am not an IT person sorry,
  • JackE
    1) Right click a blank space on your desktop.
    2) Click new. Click shortcut.
    3) In the box that pops up enter 'cmd'. Click OK. A new shortcut name cmd.exe should appear on your desktop.
    4) Right click on cmd.exe shortcut
    5) Select run as adminstrator
    6) Select OK
    7) In the big black box that pops up with the blinking cursor enter  'powercfg  /batteryreport'.
    8) Then enter 'exit' at blinking cursor to return to the desktop

Then open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Hi Jack. Thanks for your help. I got to point 7. I assume you don't include the single quotes either side of the command. (Although tried without and with. Without I got this error message : Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x10d2) has occurred. The library, drive, or media pool is empty. 

If you can advise further I would be very grateful. Thanks.
  • RobBrennan

Tinkerer

If I copy the point 7 command with the single quotes either end I get message 'powercfg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

• JackE
    Should be---

powercfg  /batteryreport

---without the quotes after the blinking cursor.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Hi Jack. Thanks. I've tried as written (without quotes) and get the message previously noted Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x10d2) has occurred. The library, drive, or media pool is empty. 
  • JackE
    OK. Shut the command prompt down and try it again this way.

1) Search Windows start menu for 'cmd' (no quotes)
    2) At right select run as adminstrator
    3) Select OK
    4) In the big black box that pops up with the blinking cursor enter  'powercfg  /batteryreport' (no quotes).
    5) Then enter 'exit' at blinking cursor to return to the desktop

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Hi just tried this. And get the same error message. I have googled the error message and it seems to be a very common issue now since October windows update. I have tried Powershell (which I've never even heard of) and followed this below guide too, but get the same error message. :-<

https://uk.pcmag.com/batteries-power/132133/how-to-check-your-laptops-battery-health-in-windows-10
  • RobBrennan

Tinkerer

This is a screen shot of the error message. Thanks.
  • RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Also same Powershell Admin

• JackE
    Is SystemProtection turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Hi, thanks for your message. Under System Properties / Protection Setting

Available Drives Acer (C:) (System) Protection ON

I have also viewed this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHj8NDErCg which is very useful, but didn't solve anything. Can't remove the battery on this model without dismantling. Also didn't update BIOS settings as suggested in the video as when I searched ACER website using my serial number the BIOS updates weren't related to the battery and there was a warning about doing BIOS updates. I guess if I can get this battery report working then its either going to be illuminating or else it leaves the potential that I need a new power lead. Thanks.
  • JackE
    If system protection is turned on, then click the System Restore button. Click next. What restore points do you see? Do any have a date/time stamp about when your battery started acting up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Hi, thanks. When I follow your instructions this is what is presented to me. Let me know. Many thanks.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>I have bought an Aspire 3 last year first hand and since Christmas (ie 9 months) the laptop powers on and works but the battery remains at 0% and doesn't charge up.>>>

Sorry, if this was caused by a software update, its automatic restore point has already been deleted. My guess it's hardware related. Probably the battery's own internal charge controller. Since this machine should still be under warranty, you should arrange for a warranty repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

Ok thanks. I take it there is no way round the error message when I try to do a battery report. If not I will arrange for a warranty repair. Thanks.
  • JackE
    Doesn't seem to be. Don't waste any time in arranging for repair because the warranty will soon expire. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RobBrennan

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Hi, I have submitted a repair request online via Acer support. I have received an email saying :
    Your request has been submitted successfully. We will get back to you shortly

Hopefully will be sorted. (Although the site says you can edit incorrect purchase date if shown but the function isn't working. But I have uploaded the receipt.
    Many thanks.
  • JackE
    OK. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ