Acer xb273k reading as two monitors.

AgentTBC
AgentTBC Member Posts: 3 New User
I just got an Acer XB273K (Gpbmiipprzx) and am trying to set it up.  I've gotten 4k and HDR to work with one displayport cable connected but of course this means choosing between 120hz or 10 bpc color depth because one cable doesn't have the bandwidth for both at the same time.  My understanding from google (apparently there is no actual manual or instructions for this thing?) is that the way to get 10 bpc and 120hz or to game at 4k 144hz is to plug both displayport cables in at once for double the bandwidth.  However, when I do that the system thinks I have two monitors plugged in.  I know from, again, google that this isn't uncommon and the general solution is to swap the displayport cables at either the video card or the monitor but not both.  However, that doesn't fix the issue for me.  Still two monitors no matter which output on the video card goes to which input on the monitor.  All that changes is which of DP1 or DP2 is the primary desktop with all my icons and such and which is the secondary desktop with nothing on it.

Telling the system to mirror "both" monitors rather than to have two doesn't fix it because I still can't run 120hz and 10bpc or 4k and 144z. 

Does anyone know how to fix the issue?  Since there's no manual or anything I'm kind of at a loss.   As I said, it's the XB273K Gwhatever version, and my video card is a GeForce RTX 2080 until I can somehow pry a 3080 out of the death grip of a bitcoin miner.  I can provide any other tech details but I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting this.  I've swapped the cables back and forth and back and forth and nada.

Answers

• AgentTBC
    AgentTBC Member Posts: 3 New User
    Got closer to a solution.  For anyone with this problem;  you also have to turn off Adaptive Sync when you're trying to run both display port cables and 144hz / 4k or it will either see two monitors or freak out your screen.  Don't know where this is documented but, yeah, can't run 4k/144/gsync all at the same time on this version of the monitor.

Still can't get it to accept both 120 or 144 and 10 bpc.  Only 8 bpc, or 60hz and 10 bpc.  Not sure what's going on there but baby steps, maybe I'll figure it today.
  • STOPchris
    STOPchris Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    AgentTBC said:
    Got closer to a solution.  For anyone with this problem;  you also have to turn off Adaptive Sync when you're trying to run both display port cables and 144hz / 4k or it will either see two monitors or freak out your screen.  Don't know where this is documented but, yeah, can't run 4k/144/gsync all at the same time on this version of the monitor.

Still can't get it to accept both 120 or 144 and 10 bpc.  Only 8 bpc, or 60hz and 10 bpc.  Not sure what's going on there but baby steps, maybe I'll figure it today.

The monitor is very finicky. You have to create the correct configuration to get 144Hz at 4K with 10 bit color. It really is goofy, but you'll eventually get it. Once you do, don't switch back or you will have to go through all the hassle again. Once a good DSC version comes out from another company, that is worth the switch, I will be dumping Acer. Acer's monitors are just never on the level of other companies for me.