Acer Nitro AN515-55 Unable to add PopOS Linux's bootx64.

Options
vedk
vedk Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 2021 in Nitro Gaming
System Information:
Acer Nitro AN515-55
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.83 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎16-‎01-‎2021
OS build 19042.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Problem:
To install Linux, I had:
  1. Disabled secure boot and set a supervisor password
  2. Disabled fastboot
  3. Disabled hibernate
  4. Changed SATA mode to AHCI instead of "Optane with RST"
Everything was working perfectly and I could dual boot Windows and Linux.

But after installing the Windows 20H2 and Insyde firmware update to upgrade the BIOS to 5.34.1.10 today, my PopOS (based on Ubuntu Linux) entry disappeared from the boot menu (which was opened by pressing F12 key). In fact the firmware update reenabled secure boot and fastboot and reverted to using RAID instead to ACHI.

I disabled these again, but the PopOS entry did not show up. I did some research on the internet and found that one has to add the bootx64.efi file as trusted. In order to do this one has to set the supervisor password. I have done so, but the "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" still remains grayed out. I also set the user password in the BIOS, but still it remains grayed out.

What should I do to access this BIOS option?

Best Answer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    You have to enable secure boot in order this option to be active. I doubt you need it because it was working without it before. Most probably the windows update has overwritten the Linux boot-loader on the EFI partition. Boot with live Linux distro. and try to rebuild the boot-loader.
    That`s why I have windows on a separate disk and the first boot-loader  is GRUB. Newer had a problem with this joke(win) OS whatsoever.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    You have to enable secure boot in order this option to be active. I doubt you need it because it was working without it before. Most probably the windows update has overwritten the Linux boot-loader on the EFI partition. Boot with live Linux distro. and try to rebuild the boot-loader.
    That`s why I have windows on a separate disk and the first boot-loader  is GRUB. Newer had a problem with this joke(win) OS whatsoever.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

This discussion has been closed.