Crystal Eye Webcam not found after Windows 10 Update

fzoppl
fzoppl Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

After updating Win10 my internal camera (Crystal Eye Webcam) is hidden in the device manager and trying to open the camera in any app won't work. In the built-in Windows camera app the error "We can't find your camera 0xA00F4244 <NoCamerasAreAttached>" appears. Unfortunately I now can't recall which update concretely produces the error, since multiple updates automatically installed but it is either Securityupdate KB5000808 or KB5000908, feature Update 20H2 or Update Windows 1909 KB4023057 with cumulative updates KB50001028 & KB4601556.
Basically, Windows fails to regocnise the camera now. Before the update it worked well and I reproduced this error, using the "going back to older Windows builds" which made the camera work until the update installed automatically again. Now for some reason I cannot go back to a build when it was working. As I said, since there were multiple updates involved, I cannot name which update exactly it is, but one of them definitely triggers the error.
My next try will probably be to reset Windows but to hopefully avoid that I wanted to seek in this forum for help. Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    About how long ago did you notice that the camera disappeared? Days? Weeks? Months? Longer? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

The most recent update was a week ago and when I saw that the automatic updater was running again, I instantly checked the camera and again it was not working after the update
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi fzoppl,

This error indicates "We can't find your camera 0xA00F4244 <NoCamerasAreAttached>" that camera is not attached properly. Try to do the following T/S, If it is a software problem the OS will be reinstalled then issue will be fixed. 

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • JackE
    >>>The most recent update was a week ago and when I saw that the automatic updater was running again, I instantly checked the camera and again it was not working after the update>>>

Sorry, what I meant was when did you notice the camera was not working. After the most recent update? Or before the most recent update? If before, how many days or week or months before did you notice it was missing?

Jack E/NJ

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>The most recent update was a week ago and when I saw that the automatic updater was running again, I instantly checked the camera and again it was not working after the update>>>

Sorry, what I meant was when did you notice the camera was not working. After the most recent update? Or before the most recent update? If before, how many days or week or months before did you notice it was missing?
    After. It definitely has to do with the update since I was able to find the camera again (working properly) when going back to a previous build. Only for some reason now I was not able to go back to the previous build

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

And it's actually not very convenient staying on an older build on the long run
  • fzoppl

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi fzoppl,

This error indicates "We can't find your camera 0xA00F4244 <NoCamerasAreAttached>" that camera is not attached properly. Try to do the following T/S, If it is a software problem the OS will be reinstalled then issue will be fixed. 

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 

That's exactly what I was asking to hopefully avoid
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Choose the restore point with a date/time stamp that coincides with when the camera disappeared. If all goes well, go to this link to temporarily block the errant update from re-loading and messing things up again until a future update resolves the issue.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi fzoppl,

fzoppl said:
    Easwar said:
    Hi fzoppl,

1. Turn OFF the unit.

That's exactly what I was asking to hopefully avoid
    In that case I suggest you to contact acer tech.

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

Or

Book the unit for repair service,

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Choose the restore point with a date/time stamp that coincides with when the camera disappeared. If all goes well, go to this link to temporarily block the errant update from re-loading and messing things up again until a future update resolves the issue.  Jack E/NJ

Unfortunately I don't have a restore point, otherwise that would have done the job. Thank you though for your efforts, it looks like I will be having to reset Windows then.
  • JackE
    edited April 2021
    A future major update will probably fix the issue if you can wait. These updates happen about every 6mos. Meanwhile you can try a few freeware driver tools like DriverBooster. There are a few others. https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206  Also you can see if a universal cam app like viewplaycap might detect it. If no success and you can wait for the magic update, you can stumble along with an external USB camera which are supercheap these days. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    A future major update will probably fix the issue if you can wait. These updates happen about every 6mos. Meanwhile you can try a few freeware driver tools like DriverBooster. There are a few others. https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206  Also you can see if a universal cam app like viewplaycap might detect it. If no success and you can wait for the magic update, you can stumble along with an external USB camera which are supercheap these days. Jack E/NJ    

That will do for the long run, I will take a look into the programs you suggested. Thank you so much!
  • JaapV
    JaapV Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue on my ConceptD CN517-71P. The driver-updater tools didn't work for me. I did restore windows (complete reset) and then the camera worked but after the update it doesn't. The camera is recognized by Windows (also after an uninstall & reinstall of the driver) so it doesn't look like a hardware problem. Something goes wrong with the install of the usbvideo service if I look at my driver event log.
  • JackE
    Make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app. Then you can reverse the errant update and temporarily block it from resinstalling by using Microsoft's Win10 update hide tool  until a future update fixes the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fzoppl

Tinkerer

Good to hear I'm not the only one facing this problem. Great news to hear it work with resetting window @JaapV
    And thanks for your help again @JackE