Acer Nitro 5 515-44 shuts down randomly.

Options
Nope1234
Nope1234 Member Posts: 4 New User
As title says, my laptop Acer Nitro 5 515-44 shuts down randomly. First few weeks after buying it were fine, but now it's madness. It can work all day fine, and the other day shutdown 4 times in a row. After each shutdown, it won't boot for over a minute, then boots itself. And it can go on like that for a while... I know it's not related to the resource usage of the laptop, as it can work fine under heavy load, like GPU/CPU stress-tests or playing resource-heavy games. Meanwhile, it can shutdown while browsing the web.

I've seen few posts about this issue before, but none of them provided any real solution, so I shall ask once again and pray to gods that somebody help me (and other Nitro users) with this.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Write down the exact time that the problem occurs. Then, look in the RELIABILITY HISTORY and EVENT VIEWER, for the error that occurred at that time.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Nope1234
    Options
    @egydiocoelho Thank you for your response.

I've looked up both Reliability History and Event Viewer (I wasn't aware these exist in Windows). The first one (Reliability History) shows many critical errors. I've went to the day with most critical errors, and there were these:

There are many "Controls the DTS audio processing object" errors. I doubt they are significant, but I've decided to uninstall DTS:X audio, as it wasn't working anyway (I couldn't get working GUI version of this program after reinstalling the system, many other users had the same problem).

More important is "Hardware error", but I can't get any useful information out of it.

Anyway, today it shutdown again (who would have guessed), so I checked today's column of Reliability History, and saw that Windows closed unexpectedly. In "View Details" I got this:

So, the last shutdown was at 13:32:17. So I went to Event Viewer, looked at 13:32. And there are many errors during that time:

Most of them are DistributedCOM errors, each of them having the same error code: 10016.

Quick search at Microsoft documentation tells, that "These 10016 events are recorded when Microsoft components try to access DCOM components without the required permissions. In this case, this behavior is expected and by design." and "These events can be safely ignored because they don't adversely affect functionality and are by design. It's the recommend action for these events." 
    So, these are not the concern. 

I've got only one other error during that time, then - "Service Control Manager" with error code 7023. Judging by the quick research, this error is associated with networking and Windows Servers, so I doubt it's the one that causes problems.

Going a bit upper in the Event Viewer, there's a critical Kernel-Power error:

with:
    - error code: 41
    - error information: The system was restarted without a clean shutdown. Possible causes of the error: the system stopped responding or crashed, or there was an unexpected loss of power.

That's the main error that summarizes my problem: PC was suddenly restarted. But it's very general problem. This might be everything at this point. I doubt that's CPU/GPU, as I was stress-testing these before and, as stated above, computer can shutdown even when viewing browser. The only thing left is memory check and/or CPU/GPU drivers. I'll run memcheck and see what happens.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Nope1234,

Try to update all the batter drivers

Update drivers in Windows 10
  • Nope1234
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @Easwar
    @CassieW

Thank you both for your responses. Since my last post, I've done these steps:

- updated battery drivers as @Easwar recommended (not with Windows software though, it  wasn't showing any new drivers, so I used external program to do so)
    - changed Power settings of the laptop

I've changed my settings from Maximum Performance mode (which, apparently, does more harm than good) to Balance Performance, changing its settings, too (can't remember how exactly, I'll try to update this post later with additional details).

I didn't notice high temperatures, though I plan to changes thermal pastes anyway, as I'd like to have even lower temperatures.

After these changes, laptop hasn't been shutting down - but I still am not optimistic of this "progress" - other users stated, that even after long, stable work time of the laptop, it was going back to the previous state of turning off (even after a few weeks). I still haven't done memtest - and that's the important thing to do, so I will keep this post updated. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the problem still occurring?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Nope1234
    Options
    Is the problem still occurring?
    Who would've guessed it's been 4 months since my last reply. Yes, the problem was still occuring, so I've sent it to the Acer service. After one month in the service I've got it back - but the same problem was there. It was shutting down. So, I've got it to the service once again. Another one month of waiting, and I've finally got it back. This time, service guys said that they don't see any issue with it's and not eligible for warranty at all anyway (lol). Right now, after few weeks, it's still working, but I doubt it's gonna last long.

I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with Acer's laptop and service.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you record a video of the problem and post it on youtube? Also, can you send some screenshots of power options?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer