Help upgrading Aspire E5-575

skyguy1701
skyguy1701 Member Posts: 1 New User
I have a 4-yr-old E5-575. I already added an extra 4GB RAM when I first bought it (for a total of 8GB) but it has been running far too slowly for me lately. I'm curious about further upgrades:

-CPU: Intel i3-7100U - I plugged it into cpu-upgrade.com and it lists several other Kaby Lake-type CPUS (mostly i5-7xxxU and i7-7xxxU) however I'm not finding any of these on newegg (I know there are other sources, that's just my go-to). Are there other options to upgrade or is that about it?

-RAM: I could go from 8GB (2x4) to 2x8 or 2x16, but how do I know if the bottleneck is the RAM or the CPU?

-GPU: Is it even possible to upgrade this? CPU-Z/CPU-ID says 'Intel HD Graphics 620'

I know that the easiest solution would be to just get a new laptop but I'd rather not stick this one in a drawer after less than 4 years. Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I have a 4-yr-old E5-575. I already added an extra 4GB RAM when I first bought it (for a total of 8GB) but it has been running far too slowly for me lately. I'm curious about further upgrades:

-CPU: Intel i3-7100U - I plugged it into cpu-upgrade.com and it lists several other Kaby Lake-type CPUS (mostly i5-7xxxU and i7-7xxxU) however I'm not finding any of these on newegg (I know there are other sources, that's just my go-to). Are there other options to upgrade or is that about it?

-RAM: I could go from 8GB (2x4) to 2x8 or 2x16, but how do I know if the bottleneck is the RAM or the CPU?

-GPU: Is it even possible to upgrade this? CPU-Z/CPU-ID says 'Intel HD Graphics 620'

I know that the easiest solution would be to just get a new laptop but I'd rather not stick this one in a drawer after less than 4 years. Thanks in advance

Your Aspire E5-575 with the i3-7100U Kaby Lake-type CPU can take the following memory; Support DIMM voltage of 1.05 V and 1.2V, Supports DIMM package of Standard JEDEC 260-pin. The type of memory is either the following; the DDR3L-1333MHz soDIMM or the DDR3L-1600MNz soDIMM or in these models only, the DDR3L-2133MHz soDIMM (only in Aspire E5-575, E5-575T) and the max capacity is 32GB into the 2x slots. 

One of the other and best ways to increase response and speed is to add an SSD, as the E5-575 (and I don't know the exact model that you have?) takes 2.5 inch SSD's and M.2 SSD's of type Liteon CV1-8B128, Samsung MZNLF128HCHP or the Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY. I would change the spinner HDD 5400rpm to a SSD 2.5 inch SATA-3 6GB/sec and also put an M.2 of the OEM type suggested into your E5-575 and increase its RAM to 2x 16GB of the suggested type above. Btw, you cant change the CPU/GPU as in your E5-575 it only has an integrated CPU/GPU i3-7100U with the Intel HD 620 type GPU, the E5-575G has a better GPU but in your case, you can't add a GPU as this model never came with a GPU but a GPU can be added and its not impossible but, it needs to be done by an experienced technician that has all the right micro tools and soldering tools and also you need to get the bare GPU chip of the GPU' that are fitted like the;  NVIDIA® GeForce® 950M or 940MX (that fits OEM on the Aspire E5-575G, E5-575TG, K50-20 only) and heatsink and fan to be soldered onto the mainboard, as all this is very expensive and you would be much better off getting a new laptop.

All the upgrades that I've suggested above will increase both responsiveness and speed of your laptop considerably for a much less amount of dollars than buying a new laptop, as I'm sure that you are running very low on RAM and your spinner HDD is either full to handle the RAM of 4GB or even 8GB is not functioning 100% and its slowing your system down. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓

Your Aspire E5-575 with the i3-7100U Kaby Lake-type CPU can take the following memory; Support DIMM voltage of 1.05 V and 1.2V, Supports DIMM package of Standard JEDEC 260-pin. The type of memory is either the following; the DDR3L-1333MHz soDIMM or the DDR3L-1600MNz soDIMM or in these models only, the DDR3L-2133MHz soDIMM (only in Aspire E5-575, E5-575T) and the max capacity is 32GB into the 2x slots. 

One of the other and best ways to increase response and speed is to add an SSD, as the E5-575 (and I don't know the exact model that you have?) takes 2.5 inch SSD's and M.2 SSD's of type Liteon CV1-8B128, Samsung MZNLF128HCHP or the Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NY. I would change the spinner HDD 5400rpm to a SSD 2.5 inch SATA-3 6GB/sec and also put an M.2 of the OEM type suggested into your E5-575 and increase its RAM to 2x 16GB of the suggested type above. Btw, you cant change the CPU/GPU as in your E5-575 it only has an integrated CPU/GPU i3-7100U with the Intel HD 620 type GPU, the E5-575G has a better GPU but in your case, you can't add a GPU as this model never came with a GPU but a GPU can be added and its not impossible but, it needs to be done by an experienced technician that has all the right micro tools and soldering tools and also you need to get the bare GPU chip of the GPU' that are fitted like the;  NVIDIA® GeForce® 950M or 940MX (that fits OEM on the Aspire E5-575G, E5-575TG, K50-20 only) and heatsink and fan to be soldered onto the mainboard, as all this is very expensive and you would be much better off getting a new laptop.

All the upgrades that I've suggested above will increase both responsiveness and speed of your laptop considerably for a much less amount of dollars than buying a new laptop, as I'm sure that you are running very low on RAM and your spinner HDD is either full to handle the RAM of 4GB or even 8GB is not functioning 100% and its slowing your system down.