Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-71UB HDD and SSD upgrade

Drewt
Drewt Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello to everyone,

I'm a new owner of a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-71UB and, even if I really find it great, I would like to improve it upgrading RAM and storage.

Talking about RAM, I've already found all the info I needed, while about storage I've recieved contradictory info from the support.

It seems that the motherboard has no.2 PCI-E port and no.1 slot for an HDD.

First of all I've asked if I could put a sata3 SSD in the HDD slot instead of a HDD, using the upgrade kit that comes with the box (as following):

The Acer support answered on Amazon that it can only hold an HDD not an SSD, while the phone support told me that there would be no problem in holding a SSD (obviously a 2,5").

Then, speaking about the PCI-E, the phone support told me that there would be no problem in upgrading adding another NVMe SSD. I've also contacted the SSD producer asking for compatibility issues (in my case it was Sabrent, since I already have one of their 1TB SSD NVMe and I wanted to integrate it). They told me that the unit will not work flawlessly because the motherboard will not be able to provide enough power supply for both units (the already installed 512GB one and my 1TB one), since the 1TB SSD unit has a 1x16 PCI-Express configuration, that is the maximum possible for this motherboard (other possibilities would be 2x8 or 1x8+2x4).

To sum up, I would like to ask you if you can help me about the storage upgrading options that I can really do at the end.

Thank you and wish you a good day!

Best Answer

Answers

This discussion has been closed.