Output to HMDI from XC-895

kamsamji
kamsamji Member Posts: 6 New User
hi guys. I have upgraded from the XC-885 to the XC-895. I was happily using 3 screens (2x HDMI and 1xVGA) - but alas the 895 only has 2x HDMI ports and no vga!

What are the suggestions for connecting the 3rd monitor? it has HDMI and DP. I did try a USB-C - HDMI cable but it didn't work - too easy i suppose!

I have lots of spare USB 3.0 ports and the USB-C port.

(On the front of the PC, the symbols seem to be just the USB symbol - even for the UBB 3.0 - I would have thought it would have a SS sympbol?)

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Amazon and others have USB to HDMI adapters. But read the reviews. A cable alone, will not work as electronics adapter is needed to convert the data. Good Luck.

• kamsamji
    Larryodie said:
    Amazon and others have USB to HDMI adapters. But read the reviews. A cable alone, will not work as electronics adapter is needed to convert the data. Good Luck.

thanks. I was looking for more technical help. AS you can see, I have already tried a cable - this is more about the actual ports on the XC-895 and if anyone has any experience of them and if i can output video from the USB-C or USB-3.0 - but appreciate you coming back to me.
  • kamsamji
    Larryodie said:

Apologies - i think i re-read your message initially. Are you suggesting that instead of a direct cable, an adapter might make it possible?

Having read a bit more, it turns out it should work with a doirect cable, as long as the USB-C (or USB-3.0) supports "DP Alt Mode". Sadly, that what I can't find out - even from Acer directly!

guess thats what i want to find out really - how do i tell if it supports "ALt Mode" in my USB-C or USB 3.0
  • Larryodie
    If you're using the same output to the monitor just use a "Y" HDMI Splitter.
    I don't know about "DP ALT MOD " ? 
    I do know from experience that a direct cable USB to HDMI is junk but USB to HDMI adapter with the converting electronics should be OK. As I said the "Y" splitter should work if you have the same images. Good Luck. 
  • kamsamji
    Larryodie said:
    If you're using the same output to the monitor just use a "Y" HDMI Splitter.
    I don't know about "DP ALT MOD " ? 
    I do know from experience that a direct cable USB to HDMI is junk but USB to HDMI adapter with the converting electronics should be OK. As I said the "Y" splitter should work if you have the same images. Good Luck. 
    Thank you. No, the third monitor won't be the same images. But i will look for the adapter - I thought the direct cables were the same as the adapter, just a tidier way. I'll look again.

Else, I'm guessing a USB (C or 3.0) to VGA would be an easier solution? Or would I have the same problems?
  • Larryodie
    Read the reviews on the items. I use Amazon for questions and reviews. I'm seeing that you have to install drivers so maybe that 'll do the conversions. Under $20 
  • kamsamji
    thanks once again.

on another note, where can i find the full detailed specs for my specific machine? as I' m sure there a different variants of the XC-895, I'm sure
  • Larryodie
    Google "acer xc-895 specs"  seems to be an UK unit. Good Luck
  • kamsamji
    cheers, appreciate that.

Turns out this "upgrade" is actually not as good as my XC-885 - which had a 3.2gen USB_C and a 3.2 gen USC 3.0 on the front (Red ones, as opposed to the blue ones). This one only has blue ones. 

Looks like i might be giving this to the missus and taking my old one back and stick to the  2xhdmi and 1x VGA. :-)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the XC-885 has a single USB-C 3.2 gen2 port, the XC-895 has a Gen 1 instead. There is more to it that that though. The 885 models use the 8th gen Intel chips, the 895 use 10th gen chips, so that gives the newer one a fair boost in performance. You can use a dock to give you the third monitor and those start in the $20-30 range. As long as you aren't expecting gaming performance on that third display you will likely be just fine with a dock.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.