Acer Aspire 5 microphone is not working for external headset on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

ashishbabar
ashishbabar Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops

I have connected single pin headset and only microphone is not working. I have tried below things.

• Upgraded kernel to 5.10.4.
  • Updated alsa-base.conf file with codec specific model as below and various other options like dell-headset-multi.
    options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer

I will really appriciate if some one have solved this issue.

Thanks

Answers

• ashishbabar
    ashishbabar Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

From a suggestion I installed ubuntu unrestricted features and did complete shutdown and start.
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    sudo apt remove ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Now I have added these two lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and when I shut down and start the popup to select headphone and headset is working. but the internal mic(Digital microphone is not working for some reason)
    options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0
    options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer
    I  am not sure if ubuntu-restricted-extra made any changes or not. Either ubuntu-restricted-extra package made some dependecies available or the reboot doesnt work, shutdowns works.
    My understanding is the alc255-acer codes is somehow overriding and replacing code loading of internal mic for laptop.Next thing to check will be what codecs are loaded and add that to options to alsa-base.conf.
    options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer,(laptop internal mic codec)
    I have tried addding dell headset multi codec but for acer laptop I think its not picking up.
    Need to look out for command to list down what codec is loaded like alc255-acer.