Spin 5 SP513-54N EFI BIOS boot cursor cannot be seen

crysman
crysman Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

There is a very unpleasant bug in EFI booting where the cursor is not being drawn at all so you cannot see where on the line you are about to type/edit. Guys from systemd say it is a fault of firmware's console support, so here am I in ACER forum to ask for help.

Issue/Bug Description:
In multiple booting options (EFI), I cannot see cursor while editing boot line via "e" :(

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install PopOS or any other OS which uses systemd-boot along with pre-installed Windows 10
  2. Reboot, press "e" to edit boot parameters, move cursor by left and right arrows - cursor cannot be seen

Expected behavior:
cursor can be seen

What to do? Where to report it? I suppose it is a BIOS issue, right?

Related issue:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/19301

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    What exactly have you tried to do crysman?

Did you tried that BIOS update to latest version?

Good luck

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Actually, it's an issue with PopOS! grub implementation. You are using Grub to edit the EFI file and are no longer in the Windows UEFI environment.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • crysman
    crysman Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

@Coqui13 No update possible, there is already V1.10

@billsey Nope, it is not, because, as you may see, we are talking about systemd-boot, not about GRUB, I am not using GRUB at all so even if there was an issue there, it is irrelevant for what I am reporting.

So, this still remains unsolved without known solution, we do need somebody from ACER staff to comment on this.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    It sounds to me like a bug in the editor, not anything Acer will be able to do anything about.
    And, of course, since this is a community support forum without Acer employees other than the moderators, you will not get any official word from Acer here.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.