How to reverse Bios Updates on my Acer Aspire a515-44G laptop?

mrtrslan
mrtrslan Member Posts: 7 New User
2 days ago, my bios updated automatically  and I noticed the bios settings got reset so I tried to change it, but I cannot change any settings in bios menu, it's all greyed out. I can't even select the load default settings option, it's greyed out too... I just want to change function key settings to be able use functions key without pressing the Fn key every single time... How can I reload the last bios version or install an old version manually?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Try this first. Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then remove charger. Then insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for at least 60 seconds while at the same time pressing and holding the power button. Then re-insert the charger. Wait till the battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu again to see if it works OK now. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mrtrslan
    JackE said:
    Try this first. Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then remove charger. Then insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for at least 60 seconds while at the same time pressing and holding the power button. Then re-insert the charger. Wait till the battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu again to see if it works OK now. Jack E/NJ
    Unfortunetly, it didn't work. My bios version is still the same and everything is still greyed out.
  • JackE
    edited April 2021
    If you can still access Windows, you can try to install an earlier version by the 12-step process in this link. Jack E/NJ  

PS: You can even try to re-install the latest version on the ACER download site

Jack E/NJ

• mrtrslan
    I changed the version check flag value to 0 to be able to install an earlier version, but it didn't work. I installed every single version but everything is still greyed out. At least now I know, it's not about the version update.
  • JackE
    Are all the security tab options grayed out too? Specifically, can you set and save a BIOS supervisor password? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mrtrslan
    JackE said:
    Are all the security tab options grayed out too? Specifically, can you set and save a BIOS supervisor password? Jack E/NJ
    No. I can't select or change anything. As I mentioned before, I can't even select load default settings option.
  • mrtrslan
    edited April 2021
    JackE said:
    You can see from the pics.
  • This problem usually occurs when the user forgets the setsupervisorpassword password and tries to access the bios, with some unlock code. Are you sure you have not used a code from the bios-pw.org website?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mrtrslan
    This problem usually occurs when the user forgets the setsupervisorpassword password and tries to access the bios, with some unlock code. Are you sure you have not used a code from the bios-pw.org website?
    I set a supervisor password before (as you can see from the pics) and I used it to access the bios.
  • JackE
    Yes, I think this might also happen if a supervisor password was not cleared before an update was attempted. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mrtrslan
    JackE said:
    Yes, I think this might also happen if a supervisor password was not cleared before an update was attempted. Jack E/NJ
    Maybe. Is there any way to remove the cmos battery without breaking the warranty, or do I necessarily need to service the laptop?
  • JackE
    If it's still under warranty, then yes, you should contact ACER support. Due to security concerns, password-related issues must be handled by an ACER authorized service center. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ