Acer laptop grey screen

Options
Axel_Z228
Axel_Z228 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi,my acer laptop turned into grey screen after it said 'preparing self repair'I have tried many methods like resetting the battery or pressing alt+f10, which doesn't work(it didn't even show up the recovery page)what should I do ?it's been grey screen for 10 minutes...

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Press and hold the power button till machine shuts off. Plug the USB stick in. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key. A menu you pop up to allow booting from the USB stick. If it doesn't, then turn the machine off again and try another USB port. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Press and hold power button for 5 seconds till laptop shuts off. Then remove charger. The insert a paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom of laptop for about 30 seconds. Then plug charger back in. Wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn laptop back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    :( It still didn't work,it shows the acer logo with a loading circle below...The laptop is fully charged and the alt+f10 still shows grey screen
  • Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Options
    Btw this all started after i shut down and update the pc >:|
  • JackE
    Options
    What do you mean by 'update'? What did you update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    That's a windows 10 update
  • Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't know what is it exactly updating... it's just like regular Windows system update i did before?but this time it got stuck at logo after updating
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. Try accessing the bios, pressing f9 to restore it and then f10 to save and exit.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Options
    There are a few model names...(HDD0 Model name,HDD1 Model name...)Here is a pic of bio, thanks
  • JackE
    Options
    So yes press F9 then F10 to save setting and exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah i pressed f9 and f10,it went back to the logo and kept loading for ages,just like before,will turning it off and let it rest for a while (or rest for few hours)help or what should I do next?Thanks!
  • JackE
    Options
    Go back into the  BIOS menu MAIN tab. Check that the F12 and D2D options are enabled. Then press F10 to save settings & exit. Then press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off. With the machine still turned off, press & hold the ALT+F10 keys. Then while still holding ALT + F10 keys, press the power button to turn the machine on. The recovery menu should now appear. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    It keeps loading with a please wait and the logo for like,15mins,I hope it will access to the recovery menu later and what should i do if i access there?I am going to rest now so I will turn off the machine and try again tomorrow, thanks!
  • JackE
    Options
    The recovery menu should have an option to reset the machine while trying to save your personal files. I would try this first before a full factory reset that erases everything. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    Well after holding the alt+F10 keys it did said please wait and loading,but it stayed in grey screen after that for more than 45 mins, should I keep waiting it or do something else? thanks!
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you know if you have you been saving & installing your own personal files, programs & software on the D : \ drive or the C : \ drive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    Nope I am not sure about that...btw the cursor appeared on the grey screen,it can't appear before
  • JackE
    Options
    If you've been storing personal files & programs on the rather small 128GB boot drive, it might now be full and can't complete the update. Go to this link to create a bootable Windows installation USB. We should then be able to boot your machine from the USB drive and repair the SSD boot drive from the advanced options menu on the USB drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Axel_Z228

Tinkerer

Options
    Well it starts doing this, should i still use the USB or wait for it?thanks
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Press and hold the power button till machine shuts off. Plug the USB stick in. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key. A menu you pop up to allow booting from the USB stick. If it doesn't, then turn the machine off again and try another USB port. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.