Purple flickering on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-31

Lachus
Lachus Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi,

My acer nitro 5 laptop sometimes starts flickering on the bottom of the screen in purple-white colour. At first, only one white line was on the most bottom, but now purple lines go up and down too ( https://youtu.be/bhvpTcyvpoM ) I have tried deleting/updating the display driver, I've checked the connector of the screen and motherboard, but no result. After going in sleep mode or restarting, the issue resolves itself for a while, then the purple stripes reappear again.

Is there any solution? Unfortunately I don't have a warranty.

Kind regards

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Does it change when you move the panel?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Lachus

Tinkerer

No it doesn't.
  • Lachus

Tinkerer

The last time it started flickering was totally random, I only pressed the space button. I don't think there's any link between them though
  • batmalin
    It is unlikely the iGPU to go bad as the whole CPU will be gone so I would check the eDP cable or the panel. If this happens when dGPU is used then more likely it will die soon.

• Lachus

Tinkerer

It happens during general usage, scrolling Twitter or talking on Discord, during gaming it's less frequent or doesn't happen at all, I can't recall any case when it started flickering while dgpu was being used.
  • batmalin
    Well check the drivers first then the eDP connector if no improvement.

• You can check the edp cable, but disconnect the lition battery:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Lachus

Tinkerer

I've been trying all day to recreate the problem in order to check out whether it appears on an external display, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I'll let you know if the problem reoccurs and if it happens regularly after removing the lition battery.
  • Lachus

Tinkerer

It seems like things on the top are copied to the display on the bottom
    https://youtu.be/SQZhhIGmQcc

• Does the same problem occur when uninstalling and deleting the drivers, through the device manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • batmalin
    Is this visible on the BIOS screen as well?

• Lachus

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    When I firstly deleted the intel vga driver, and the screen went black for 3 seconds or so, the purple flickering was visible on the black screen as well. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the driver, and downloading an older version from the acer website, but the installer said that I don't meet the minimum requirements to install the driver, then I was trying to seek other solutions

The problem occurs about every 3-5 days, so I am not sure whether it appears in BIOS or not
  • batmalin
    When it appears reboot and go to BIOS screen and report back.

• Lachus

Tinkerer

If I reboot or go into sleep mode, it disappears, that's how I solved the issue before
  • Access the bios by pressing f2 before the Acer logo. Does the problem occur in the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Lachus

Tinkerer

I'm not sure if it appears in BIOS because it happens every 3 days, after some hours of usage
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Lachus,

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • There was a user in the Portuguese community, who had the same problem. He solved the problem by updating the intel video card driver on the intel website.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Lachus,

Any update regarding the issue. 
  • Lachus

Tinkerer

edited May 2021
    Hi,
    I haven't done anything with it, I did not reset the laptop, but the purple flickering mysteriously stopped. There's been no problem for a week now, although I've updated my driver to the newest version just in case, to see if windows update caused the issue.