RAM Upgrades and Warranty? - Aspire 7 A715-42G-R2M7

mikee286
mikee286 Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I am considering buying an Acer Aspire 7 laptop model A715-42G-R2M7 to be exact but it only comes with 8GB RAM which I would want to upgrade immediately if I bought it. Based on a few youtube videos I have seen about this laptop there will be stickers covering screw holes that if I were to upgrade the RAM it would void the warranty.  Is that the case with this model?  Is there an option to buy that model with 16GB already installed?

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Tamper seal sticker locations vary with the region and/or vendor/seller. So you can't tell by a video. You can certainly request  up to 32GB RAM be installed by the vendor. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mikee286
    JackE said:
    Tamper seal sticker locations vary with the region and/or vendor/seller. So you can't tell by a video. You can certainly request  up to 32GB RAM be installed by the vendor. Jack E/NJ
    I guess that makes sense.  I am in the USA and the videos are from India I think.  If I bought from this link will there be an option to have it come with 16GB?

https://store.acer.com/en-us/aspire-7-laptop-a715-42g-r2m7?internal_source=us.acer.com&internal_medium=referral&internal_campaign=CLM&internal_content=NH.QAYAA.002
  • JackE
    Best way. Call 1-800-910-2237  and ask whoever answers if you can buy a A715-42g model comparably equipped to the advertised A715-42G-R2M7 part no. NH.QAYAA.002 but with 16GB RAM instead of 8GB. If not, ask if the warranty would be voided if you added 8GB. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mikee286
    too bad you can't just configure it when you go to buy right on the site like other manufacturers.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    mikee286 said:
    I am considering buying an Acer Aspire 7 laptop model A715-42G-R2M7 to be exact but it only comes with 8GB RAM which I would want to upgrade immediately if I bought it. Based on a few youtube videos I have seen about this laptop there will be stickers covering screw holes that if I were to upgrade the RAM it would void the warranty.  Is that the case with this model?  Is there an option to buy that model with 16GB already installed?

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

mikee286, these laptops have a specific small easily accessible window (at the underside of the laptop) to the memory so that it can be upgraded and changed to suite a consumers needs. You don't have to dismantle the whole laptop to upgrade the memory, hence and why, you can easily change the memory "its a PnP process" (plug and play) and that is why Acer quotes that the A71542G's "Standard Memory is 8GB" and the "Maximum Memory is 32GB" so you can upgrade the OEM memory to the suitable DDR4 SDRAM only (as putting inappropriate memory will make this laptop not boot and/or work) so be careful and research the appropriate memory that especially and if you put the max 32GB of DDR4 SDRAM memory this laptop takes is the appropriate memory. Upgrading memory will not void your warranty its thing that has no bearing on damaging your laptop and an upgrade will not make your laptop unfunctional. 
  • JackE
    >>>too bad you can't just configure it when you go to buy right on the site like other manufacturers. >>>

Some re-sellers do. But if you insist on using the ACER store, then I suggest that you mention this idea when you call or use their chatline. I'd guess though that the reason they don't has something to do with keeping the price down relative to competitors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ