Suddenly shuts down for no apparent reason - Acer Aspire A315-51-506Z

Options
Blackicon
Blackicon Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello everybody,

I really hope this is the right category. I'm sorry if it isn't, but I'm new and I'm not used to this forum yet.
I will explain my problem:
I have an Acer Aspire A315-51-506Z that shuts down without warnings, both plugged and unplugged to its original AC power supply. I removed the battery to check if it was the problem, but nothing changes.
To solve the problem I searched a bit here on the forum and this is frequently associated with a small switch on the motherboard that prevents the computer to be turned on while it is open. Well, I made some tests and that switch indeed works, but only if the computer is powered by its battery; if the power plug is inserted, I can use the computer even if it is open.

Following I will report other things that may be useful to know:

- The problem is OS-independent, the computer does shut down no matter I'm using Windows 10, Kali Linux or Ubuntu;
- I changed the original HDD and its now mounting a Crucial SSD;
- CPU temperature while using Win 10 is around 32°C almost all the time;
- No matter how much I keep it connected to the AC, the battery is always 53%;
- I managed to complete two Memtest86+ runs and no error popped out for the RAM.

Do you have any ideas about what can be causing this problem?
Feel free to ask me more information if you need!

I thank you all for your precious time. 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some mainboards have a spring-loaded safety interlock shutoff switch that is de-activated and cuts all power to the mainboard if the bottom cover is removed, not fully seated, screws loose or misaligned with the top case.  I suggest that you first try to snug up all the base cover/door screws since you've already had at least one of the doors off. The interlock switch is most often located near RAM socket and sometimes requires a spacer taped to the base cover so that is presses hard enough to keep the switch on. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello JackE, thank you for the answer! I made more tests about the spring-loaded safety interlock shutoff switch to see what happens.
    I tried with the following configurations:

- battery+AC [switch not pressed] : KO!
    - battery+AC [switch pressed] : KO!
    - battery only [switch pressed] : KO!
    - battery only [switch not pressed] : It simply doesn't turn on.

- AC only [switch pressed] : It Works!
    - AC only [switch not pressed] : It Works!

Also, when I was testing with battery + AC power supply, all of a sudden the fan accelerated to an abnormal speed and the laptop shut-down after five or six of seconds.
    Since it works perfectly without its battery, I was thinking about buying a new one and using the pc without it for a while.
    What do you think about this?

• JackE
    Options
    >>>using the pc without [battery] for a while. What do you think about this?>>>

Sorry. Not recommended. Replace the battery  now. The power supply partly relies on the Li ion battery's own internal charge controller to regulate the power supply output current & voltage to the mainboard.  The mainboard is designed to operate at 8-11vdc. The unregulated charger can output as much as 19vdc. Too much. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    I didn't know about that difference between motherboard's and charger's vdc, thank you very much JackE!
    I will buy a new battery to see if the problem solves. I will write again here to leave a feedback about that, it could be useful for future people with the same problem.
  • Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    Nothing to do: new battery but same problem.
    This time it lasted a full hour and then powered off all of a sudden.
    Do you have any ideas? The only solution I can think of is to send it to Acer and have it repaired...
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This time it lasted a full hour>>>

What happens when you turn the machine on but only after the battery charge LED turns from steady orange to steady blue? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Blackicon

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Options
    The exact same thing: it lasts about a hour. I have tried for you right now.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Blackicon

How old is your PC? Any irregular beep sound? How about try test it with just one memory at a time. Intermittent problems are  just hard to diagnose .

I believe it maybe motherboard level HW problem. My other older desktop does some self reboot or self shutdown on the average once every 20 operating hours. Whatever I tried could not solve the problem. I am just waiting for it to fail so I can replace it with the new 11th generation CPU PC.
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Blackicon,

Try to update all the drivers listed under the title batteries,

Update drivers in Windows 10
  • Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you everyone for the answers!
    Easwar said:
    Hi Blackicon,

Try to update all the drivers listed under the title batteries,

Update drivers in Windows 10
    Windows says that the drivers are already updated, but I legitimately don't believe it. Is there a way to check if it's true?
    Anyway, the problem is OS-independent, so it would be strange if all the drivers are faulted or not updated...

JackE said:
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

I will attach the file to this post!

ttttt said:
    @Blackicon

How old is your PC? Any irregular beep sound? How about try test it with just one memory at a time. Intermittent problems are  just hard to diagnose .

I believe it maybe motherboard level HW problem. My other older desktop does some self reboot or self shutdown on the average once every 20 operating hours. Whatever I tried could not solve the problem. I am just waiting for it to fail so I can replace it with the new 11th generation CPU PC.
    The PC is about 4 year old and no, I never noticed irregular beeps. It only beeps when I plug in and out the AC power supply.
    I already tested with the factory memory alone (it's soldered), but unfortunately nothing changes. Memtest86+ says that no errors were found.
    I too think the problem is something with the Motherboard, maybe a condenser.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Since it works perfectly without its battery>>>

Is this still true? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    Options
    @Blackicon

When I use my laptop at home, I always use AC only and the battery is removed. I like it this way for better performance of the laptop. I only put in the battery when taking the laptop out of home, maybe once every year.

If the problem caused by the soldered RAM, there are not much to do unless soldering new ones. Anyhow, I have the impression that you are a technical person. Maybe you can do that.
  • Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

I will do further testing to check if it still works without its battery. Maybe the uptime or the work load wasn't enough to trigger the problem. I will let you know :)

ttttt said:
    @Blackicon

When I use my laptop at home, I always use AC only and the battery is removed. I like it this way for better performance of the laptop. I only put in the battery when taking the laptop out of home, maybe once every year.

If the problem caused by the soldered RAM, there are not much to do unless soldering new ones. Anyhow, I have the impression that you are a technical person. Maybe you can do that.
    Yes I'm a bit technical but I never did that. Anyway, I don't think it would be a big problem to find and replace the RAM! The fact is that I don't suspect the memory to be the cause, but I may be wrong ahah
    At this point I don't even know if it is worth to send it to Acer in order to have it repaired...
    Maybe I can add some money and do a hardware upgrade.
    Do you know what are the aproximative prices of reparations at the Acer official center?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Blackicon
    I have never tried a repair with Acer. Based on what I read from other people's messsages, the turn around time will be likely 3-5 weeks.

Somehow I have the impression if you send your PC for repair, it may come back as "Nothing Wrong". Just my guess!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Blackicon,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

Or

Book the unit for repair service,

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does your model have these two buttons?

Place a few layers of electrical tape over the two buttons:
    Notebook em boot loop aps update do Windows como resolver - Pgina 2   Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Blackicon

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello everybody, I'm sorry for the late answer but I was away from home and from the damaged Acer laptop.
    ttttt said:
    @Blackicon
    Somehow I have the impression if you send your PC for repair, it may come back as "Nothing Wrong". Just my guess!
    Yeah, I have the same impression ahahah

Easwar said:
    Hi Blackicon,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

Or

Book the unit for repair service,

Thank you for the links! I just bought a new laptop because I really need a portable computer to work when I'm not home, but I will probably keep trying to solve this one's problem.

Does your model have these two buttons?

Place a few layers of electrical tape over the two buttons:
    Notebook em boot loop aps update do Windows como resolver - Pgina 2   Acer Community
    I tried the electrical tape trick but nothing changed...
    I don't think this is the problem, unfortunately.

JackE said:

At the end I confirmed that, with a longer uptime (about 2 hours), it powered off again even without its battery.

I will bring it to a PC repair center here in my city when I have time. They that told me the diagnosis is free, so why not?
    I think that what they will tell me could be useful for future people, but feel free to close this thread if you think it isn't useful anymore!
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>diagnosis is free,>>>

That's a good price. Let us know how what they find.  =)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    Options
    @Blackicon

Let me guess. Maybe the repair center will end up replacing the power button board/cable. This is rather common for laptops more than a few years old.