update to the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter - Aspire ES1-521

FrostKing
FrostKing Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My wife has an Aspire ES1-521 with the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter, Version 10.0.3.458.  Her OS is Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2.

I have two questions:

(1) Would anyone know if there is a more recent version of this adapter or a replacement that would be compatible with her laptop?  

(2) Is there a dual band 
Wireless Network Adapter available that would be compatible with her laptop?

My reason for asking is because of the issue outlined below:

My wife loses Internet connection two or three times every single day.  Nearly always, this issue is rectified by rebooting.  During her disconnect period I am still connected, but I'm on our 5GHz network and she can only use the 2.4 GHz network due to her installed Network Adapter not being dual band (I guess that the WiFi card is not dual band either).  We were hoping by updating or replacing the Wireless Network Adapter that it would possibly rectify her issue.  This assumes that her being able to connect to our 5GHz network will resolve her issue.

Thank you for your time.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    FrostKing said:
    My wife has an Aspire ES1-521 with the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter, Version 10.0.3.458.  Her OS is Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2.

I have two questions:

(1) Would anyone know if there is a more recent version of this adapter or a replacement that would be compatible with her laptop?  

(2) Is there a dual band Wireless Network Adapter available that would be compatible with her laptop?

My reason for asking is because of the issue outlined below:

My wife loses Internet connection two or three times every single day.  Nearly always, this issue is rectified by rebooting.  During her disconnect period I am still connected, but I'm on our 5GHz network and she can only use the 2.4 GHz network due to her installed Network Adapter not being dual band (I guess that the WiFi card is not dual band either).  We were hoping by updating or replacing the Wireless Network Adapter that it would possibly rectify her issue.  This assumes that her being able to connect to our 5GHz network will resolve her issue.

Thank you for your time.

The Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter with the QCA956x chip works with the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signal and it also has an integrated Bluetooth 4.0. chip. Your old driver must either be corrupted or there is something wrong with your version 10.0.3.458 driver or the card itself? But, these cards are very reliable and its probably a driver issue, also check that your existing card has its antenna wires (black or white colour wires) is connected properly and/or the card is not faulty?

Check the card physically first and do what I've suggested above then do a reinstallation to the new Win-10 WiFi and BT drivers. Before you install the new WiFi/BT Win-10 drivers, make sure that you completely uninstall the old 
    10.0.3.458 WiFi and the BT drivers that you have!

The new Win-10 WiFi driver is the version 10.0.3.462 get it from this link and new BT Win 10 driver is the 10.0.3.14 get it from this link as that is a dedicated (not official) Qualcomm Atheros site and it should work perfectly, if it doesn't and you've done all the steps that I've instructed you to do above, then there is something physically wrong with your card and it may need replacing with a new and exactly the same card. Good luck and hope this helps you.

Qualcomm Atheros AR956x 

• FrostKing
    FrostKing Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi StevenGen, thank you so very much for your time and effort in responding to my question, I greatly appreciate it.  It's a big relief to find out that the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter is dual band because I had read somewhere that it was not.

Prior to checking the card physically, I assume it would be OK if I proceed with uninstalling the two drivers and installing the new drivers that you provided the links to?  I assume that doing this may rectify the issue if indeed the old driver was corrupted.  If the issue is still not rectified, then I'll proceed with unscrewing the 100 screws  :/ and, like you said, physically check the card.

My wife's laptop uses Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) protocol.  I'm a novice when it comes to a lot of this stuff so I don't know if this in any way would prevent her from connecting to 5 GHz.  I don't even know if it's possible to change her protocol to, for example what my laptop protocol is, which is Wi-Fi 5 (802.ac).

One more question: Should I backup the old drivers before uninstalling them?  If so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks again for your time and effort.