How to install or run Linux on new - aspire 3 A315-23

GhostintheMachine
GhostintheMachine Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I just recently bought an acer aspire 3 A315-23 Ryzen 5 3500 and I’m trying to install Linux mint but have come up empty handed looking for info on the matter any suggestions or ideas are welcome even if it’s to go with a different distro

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2021
    Mint has kernel 5.4 (I think) by default and ryzens are pretty new so i reckon thats where the issue is - MX Linux has kernel 5.6 and does support ryzen's and here's a link:  for xfce use the "ahs" one, KDE has support by default.   MX is basically debian buster but a lot more up to date than debs pure download, and it comes with a load of tools preinstalled etc  it is rock solid stable, just like debian.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

Just an idea, but might be worth a shot.

unless its just an install issue, in which case could you elaborate on what its doing, ta.
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:
    Mint has kernel 5.4 (I think) by default and ryzens are pretty new so i reckon thats where the issue is - MX Linux has kernel 5.6 and does support ryzen's and here's a link:  for xfce use the "ahs" one, KDE has support by default.   MX is basically debian buster but a lot more up to date than debs pure download, and it comes with a load of tools preinstalled etc  it is rock solid stable, just like debian.

unless its just an install issue, in which case could you elaborate on what its doing, ta.
    i think you're correct about the kernel how ever im having the same issue with MX now got it on the usb drive but still freezes during the boot just shows loading screen frozrn 
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

Thanks I think you’re right as that’s what I’m coming up with too that because my machine is still fairly new the kernel isn’t up to par yet in which case I might give your idea a shot see if it helps my case. 

Until then here’s the rundown of my issue I tryed booting a live usb with mint installed it boots up fine and gets me to the loading logo and then it suddenly just stops and does nothing I tried using nomodeset as many suggested throughout my research but that only gave me a whole set of fails and errors so after looking for more info I came to the same conclusion the kernel updates are behind but I could be completely wrong 
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

Thanks I think you’re right as that’s what I’m coming up with too that because my machine is still fairly new the kernel isn’t up to par yet in which case I might give your idea a shot see if it helps my case. 

Until then here’s the rundown of my issue I tryed booting a live usb with mint installed it boots up fine and gets me to the loading logo and then it suddenly just stops and does nothing I tried using nomodeset as many suggested throughout my research but that only gave me a whole set of fails and errors 
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

Until then here’s the rundown of my issue I tryed booting a live usb with mint installed it boots up fine and gets me to the loading logo and then it suddenly just stops and does nothing I tried using nomodeset as many suggested throughout my research but that only gave me a whole set of fails and errors 
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

• GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

• GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

i think you're correct about the kernel how ever im having the same issue with MX now got it on the usb drive but still freezes during the boot just shows loading screen 
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

i think you're correct about the kernel how ever im having the same issue with MX now got it on the usb drive but still freezes during the boot just shows loading screen frozen  
  • GhostintheMachine

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

i think you're correct about the kernel how ever im having the same issue with MX now got it on the usb drive but still freezes during the boot just shows loading screen frozrn 
  • Brimstone
    Brimstone Member Posts: 4 New User
    For what it's worth, I have similar problem and have found what I think is the reason.  I run fixmestick which is just debian on a usb stick.  In order for this laptop to run any linux it has to have an option to disable secure boot and select legacy.  All Acer of 3 years ago have this in the bios, but, the Aspire3 A315-23 does not have the option available.  It is greyed out.  I upgraded to most recent bios 1.14 and still can't disable secure boot in favour of legacy.  Until acer upgrades the bios to allow legacy this model will not allow boot to any linux.  I'd ask acer to upgrade the bios to allow legacy boot, but I don't know who to ask.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Secure boot and legacy boot are two things, you should be able to disable secured boot if you seta supervisor password, and you shouldn't need legacy boot, that's a MBR thing
  • Brimstone
    "Secure boot and legacy boot are two things, you should be able to disable secured boot if you seta supervisor password, and you shouldn't need legacy boot, that's a MBR thing"

Created supervisor password and can disable secured boot but can't change to legacy.  Tried fixmestick (linux boot) and it still won't run. Froze on fixmestick start screen same as before.

Tried Acer chat and they said this feature (legacy) is no longer available and won't ever be added as a bios option.  I'm just out of luck.  At least fixmestick people gave me half my fee back.  They say unless you can enable legacy and disable UEIF, the linux boot will not be possible.

Can anyone suggest a antivirus solution that is as secure  and effective as a linux boot to antivirus scan?  I know windows defender is on the machine but I was hoping for a product that runs outside windows and boots from a read only device to scan the windows drive.

• Brimstone
    UEIF = UEFI
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Ohh yeh, if the maintainers don't support UEFI you are out of luck, that's really bad of them as it's been a standard for what at least a decade , I wonder what kernel they are using for it to not support UEFI. If it's getting past the initial boot selection though it suggests it's not the UEFI but some Kernel options which need setting , nomodeset is the most common needed one

For pre boot AV, most the main vendors offer them such as Kaspersky or McAfee , they call em rescue disks 
  • iqie
    iqie Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

My laptop is also a new Acer Aspire 3-a315-23, I can't install any linux, its freeze on boot because of my ssd cannot be detected on linux,

if your issue was same as mine, you should try run this code on grub menu:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5000

don't forget to update the grub parameter after successful installation.