Options
asdfsdf768
asdfsdf768 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

How do i flash a corrupt bios for Acer spin 5 sp513-52-n

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    How are you sure that the bios is corrupted? was there a problem during the bios update?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    yes the bios update did not finish, all i have working on my acer spin 5 is a slow flashing orange battery charging light that after 20 seconds of being plug in starts flashing real fast, no post, no bios, black screen.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Options
    How do i flash a corrupt bios for Acer spin 5 sp513-52-n
    asdfsdf768, firstly, this is an unfortunate thing that can and does happen if you don't prepare your laptop/computer to do a proper bios update and that is why you need experience and to take all precautions when doing a critical update like a bios update! Do this to recover your bios this is official and as instructed by Acer's Service manual for your Spin SP513-52N, this is not a mod and/or tampering with the bios but, be careful as you need expertise to execute a bios recovery, if you don't have experience and/or don't know what you are doing do not attempt these procedures and take your Spin SP513-52N to Acer and/or to an experienced technician!

An interruption during a BIOS flash procedure (e.g. a power outage or software failure etc) can corrupt the BIOS code, which will cause the system to go into an unbootable state. The BIOS boot block refers to a special BIOS program that can be used to boot up a system with minimum BIOS initialization. You need to access and execute the boot block to reboot the computer and recover the regular BIOS code.

Creating the Crisis Disk

NOTE: the BIOS crisis recovery disk should be prepared on a computer running the Windows OS. Use a USB flash drive. Remember and if you have valuable data on the USB all data in the USB flash drive will be cleared during the creation of the crisis disk. Have a look this AC thread here "recovery/rebuild method" as this a guide only but not the exact guide for your laptop, that is why you need to have experience so don't attempt this if you don't know what you are doing!

1. Get a 2GB USB driver -> Format to FAT
    2. Copy BIOS .fd format file to the Formatted Flash Drive
    3. Plug the Flash Drive to the USB on laptop

Performing a BIOS recovery

NOTE: make sure the battery pack is installed to the system and that the computer is connected to a UPS unit during the BIOS recovery process. The function hotkey sequence Fn+Esc is used to enable the BIOS recovery process when system is powered On during BIOS POST. If this function is enabled, the system will force the BIOS to execute the boot block program.

To perform a BIOS recovery:

1. Shut down the BIOS failed-computer.
    2. Connect the USB flash drive containing the Crisis Recovery disk files to the computer.
    3. Press and hold the Fn+Esc keys, then press the Power Button . The BIOS recovery process begins. When the process is complete the computer will automatically reboot.
    4. Disconnect the USB flash drive from the computer.
    5. Perform a BIOS flash procedure to update the BIOS firmware. Refer to the “BIOS Flash Utilities” see instructions below. 

BIOS Flash Utilities

BIOS Flash memory updates are required for the following conditions:
    • New versions of system programs
    • New features or options
    • Restore a BIOS when it becomes corrupted. Use the Flash utility to update the system BIOS Flash ROM.

NOTE: If a Crisis Recovery Disc is not available, create one before Flash utility is used.

NOTE: Do not install memory related drivers (XMS, EMS, DPMI) when Flash is used.

NOTE: Use AC adapter power supply when running Flash utility. If battery pack does not contain power to finish loading BIOS Flash, do not boot system.

Perform the following to run Flash.

1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Insert the USB device containing the BIOS file and the Crisis Recovery disk files to any USB port.
    3. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys (this is the BIOS recovery hotkey), then press the power button. 4. Release the Fn + Esc keys after POST.

NOTE: Flash utility has auto execution function
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your answer, but i need a crisis disk
    that is instructed by Acer's Service manual so i can have an exact guide for my laptop Spin SP513-52N

• asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Does anybody know how to make a crisis disk for Acer spin 5 that the service manual states, would greatly appreciate it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Options
    He described the process above:
    1. Get a 2GB USB driver -> Format to FAT
    2. Copy BIOS .fd format file to the Formatted Flash Drive
    3. Plug the Flash Drive to the USB on laptop
    The BIOS file should be a part of the download, though you may have to extract to get to it. In the case of the latest BIOS for you model, the file is named WdyKBL115.fd and it has to be extracted from the VRBI0115.exe. You can use a utility like 7-Zip to extract it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you Billsey for your response I have a question. what about these instructions that were in the post that you are referencing.

2. Insert the USB device containing the BIOS file and the Crisis Recovery disk files to any USB port.
    3. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys (this is the BIOS recovery hotkey), then press the power button. 4. Release the Fn + Esc keys after POST. 

they are two set of instructions one that you mentioned and this one which has the bios file and the crisis recovery files. i am confused as to which i do and were do i download the crisis files that i add to to the bios file and is this all in the Acer service manual, because as he noted there is no room for error.

• StevenGen
    Options
    Thank you Billsey for your response I have a question. what about these instructions that were in the post that you are referencing.

they are two set of instructions one that you mentioned and this one which has the bios file and the crisis recovery files. i am confused as to which i do and were do i download the crisis files that i add to to the bios file and is this all in the Acer service manual, because as he noted there is no room for error.

Do what billsey has instructed as that is what the service manual is instructing. I've given you a link to an example of how a recovery/rebuild was done for a Aspire 5349 BIOS just so that you get an idea. 
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you StevenGen for your reply, but you did not answer my question about your other set of instructions:

Do i also perform these other instructions that you included in your first post?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    At what point in this video, did the problem occur with the update of the bios?

In START BIOS UPDATE, was it completed up to 100%? If so, then it is possible that the bios have been recorded correctly. I would try to reset the battery first:

If the problem still occurs, you must name this file:

Generally, the name should be the model of the main board:

Try changing to Woody_KBL_RX64.FD
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you egydiocoelho for your post, i tried the new name but did not work, the bios boot failed halfway through the install progress bar about 1 minute 40 seconds in your video.
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options

The acer manual  tells about a 'Crisis Package Source' to get the BIOS flashed.

Where can I get this package?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It's the .fd file, as I show in this image:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    I have not successfully flash my bios, does anybody have any other suggestions other than send it to a acer service center or computer repair shop, because i can not afford it, if somebody has the actual service manual page for the bios recovery i would appreciate it, if they could copy and paste and send it to me that would be great.
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Does anybody know how to flash bios chip for Acer spin 5 sp513-52-n with the ch341a programmer, more specifically do i have to modify the .fd file.
  • StevenGen
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Thank you StevenGen for your reply, but you did not answer my question about your other set of instructions:

Do i also perform these other instructions that you included in your first post?

I've told you what to do in great detail(s) from the service manual and given you examples also! billsey has also instructed you what to do with the 7-Zip extract software of these files for the "Crisis Disk" to reflash, it seems to me that you really haven't got the expertise and experience in doing this so please "DO NOT" attempt this processes as you will "BRICK YOUR LAPTOP" and do more damage than what you have! Take your laptop to an Acer and/or an experienced technician that has experience in doing these sorts of bios flashes and mods. That is my suggestion, take it as you may? 
  • asdfsdf768

Tinkerer

Options
    Does anybody know how to flash bios chip for Acer spin 5 sp513-52-n with the ch341a programmer, more specifically do i have to modify the .fd file.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    @asdfsdf768 you are unlikely to get a different answer than what we've already provided. We are not allowed to discuss anything that might bypass security, and modifying a BIOS certainly falls into that realm.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,303 Community Administrator
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello asdfsdf768,  

Like mentioned by 
    billsey We do not allow/provide direct support or discuss any steps that promote or aid in bypassing of security features, as it could damage permanently the unit and void warranty

We recommend contacting your local Acer support for better assistance: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support

Please check/ review our Acer Community User Agreement.

Note: This thread will be now closed

Best Regards,
    Acer-Ingrid 

This discussion has been closed.