SWIFT SF314-42-R6T7 doesn't wake up after sleep in Windows 10:

nelsonwcf
nelsonwcf Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
Hi,

I noticed similar posts around the forum but my case seems to be different.
My computer doesn't recover after sleeping on bios 1.09. However, when I downgraded it to 1.08, it seemed to fix the issue. However, windows 10 keeps forcing the update to 1.09 on me. Anyone else having the same problems here in which version 1.08 fixed it but it started causing problems in 1.09 again?

Thank you

Answers

• kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Have you tried resetting your BIOS when on 1.09 version?
  • nelsonwcf
    Yes, I did the BIOS reset pressing F9 to load the default values and then F10 to save the new values.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    What happens when you test in safe mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nelsonwcf
    Never tried it. Do you mean entering suspend mode and then request to wake while on safe mode? Let me try.
  • nelsonwcf
    There's no option to suspend the computer using Windows 10 on safe mode.
  • billsey
    Do you have a sleep key to put it into sleep mode? If not, try a right click on the start menu, then select Shut Down of Sign Out; Sleep. We're trying to see if the issue is present when in safe mode, since in safe mode none of the third party drivers and apps are running. If it happens there the issue is either with Windows itself or it's hardware, if it works fine there but fails when booted normally then we'll want to look at the third party apps and drivers.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nelsonwcf
    Neither the sleep button works nor going to start menu and power icon. At least in my computer, I can't suspend while in safe mode.

I already formatted and reinstalled Windows 10, did a battery reset, disabled hibernation and reset the BIOS settings but no matter what I do, the sleep mode works in 1.08 but not in 1.09 (or earlier than 1.08). It seems to be something on either the current Windows 10, in the firmware or in the hardware.

For the Windows part, the computer stopped suspending just after the V1.09 update but before updating to 20H2 version. V1.09 description is: 1. Update Insyde solution for 20H2. 2. Update PI code patch, so I expected that after the Windows 10 20H2 updated, the suspend would start working again. That didn't happen. Now, even with the 20H2 update but bios downgraded to V1.08 instead, the computer suspends normally. I believe this scenario practically excludes Windows being the problem.

My main issue is that there's another thread about the same problem for the same model of computer in which people agreed that bios V1.08 fixed the issue. Some of them stated that V1.09 also seems to be working for them (that's the reason I reinstalled Windows 10). So far, I'm the only person complaining the V1.09 is breaking the suspend mode again. I posted the issue there but no one else replied.

That's why I think it is either the new firmware or the hardware. Since no one replied on the other thread, either they are not visiting the forum anymore or they are not having problems, which leads to the conclusion that it is very likely caused by a hardware problem like mother board version, some spec that only exist in the model that ends in R6T7 or even some unusual, very specific defect.

I'm just trying to eliminate most of the other reasons because RMAing the computer is a PitA so I'm making sure this is highly likely hardware related.
  • nelsonwcf
    I do have a sleep button under F1 key. It doesn't work while on safe mode. Going to start menu/power icon also doesn't give the suspend option while in safe mode.
  • billsey
    Does the right click on the start menu work in safe mode?
  • nelsonwcf
    Yes, but there's no option to suspend. The problem is unlikely to be the drivers; I've reinstalled the computer twice with and without the 20H2 using only the drivers from Acer support page. Tried all combinations of installed updates x V1.09 and V1.08. The only thing that made any difference is the bios version (V1.08). I also tried to reset the battery, reset the BIOS, disable hibernate mode, update the drivers using AMD drivers from their website. The ONLY thing that made any difference is the BIOS version.
    The only thing I couldn't do is to try to test the suspend without any drivers installed. This is relatively difficult because Windows start download all drivers immediately when it's connect. But hey, the computer that came installed from the factory with V1.03 from factory couldn't recover from suspend either.
    Given all that, the chance of a driver being the reason for the recover from suspend not to work is close to zero (only a very weird hardware version combination that work V1.08 but not on V1.09 - but this would be difficult to track because the drivers for all SF314-42 are the same).
    I don't know that these four letter of the model are R6T7; maybe it's something related to that? What does the four last character of the model name define?
  • billsey
    The last four define the actual SKU, locale language and keyboard, memory size, storage size, processor, etc.. IIRC the 1.08 to 1.09 update was, among other things, to fix an issue where if you had virtualization enabled it would hang in sleep. The option when right clicking the start menu isn't Suspend, it's Sleep.
  • nelsonwcf
    In the context of OSs, I always used suspend and sleep interchangeably. What I mean by sleep/suspend is when the computer saves the current state of the system in the memory while putting the devices in low power consumption. In some systems they call Suspend; in windows, it's Sleep. Unless it's BIOS V1.08, the recover of such state doesn't happen. My point is there isn't any sleep or suspend option while in Safe mode when right clicking the start menu. Check the image; sleep won't be there if it's in safe mode.

• billsey
    And apparently that's right... No sleep in safe mode. :( Well, it's more work, but you can use sysconfig to enable and disable individual startup items until sleep works as expected once again.
  • nelsonwcf
    Neither the sleep button works nor going to start menu and power icon. At least in my computer, I can't suspend while in safe mode.

I already formatted and reinstalled Windows 10, did a battery reset, disabled hibernation and reset the BIOS settings but no matter what I do, the sleep mode works in 1.08 but not in 1.09 (or earlier than 1.08). It seems to be something on either the current Windows 10, in the firmware or in the hardware.

For the Windows part, the computer stopped suspending just after the V1.09 update but before updating to 20H2 version. V1.09 description is: 1. Update Insyde solution for 20H2. 2. Update PI code patch, so I expected that after the Windows 10 20H2 updated, the suspend would start working again. That didn't happen. Now, even with the 20H2 update but bios downgraded to V1.08 instead, the computer suspends normally. I believe this scenario practically excludes Windows being the problem.

My main issue is that there's another thread about the same problem for the same model of computer in which people agreed that bios V1.08 fixed the issue. Some of them stated that V1.09 also seems to be working for them (that's the reason I reinstalled Windows 10). So far, I'm the only person complaining the V1.09 is breaking the suspend mode again. I posted the issue there but no one else replied.

That's why I think it is either the new firmware or the hardware. Since no one replied on the other thread, either they are not visiting the forum anymore or they are not having problems, which leads to the conclusion that it is very likely caused by a hardware problem like mother board version, some spec that only exist in the model that ends in R6T7 or even some unusual, very specific defect.

I'm just trying to eliminate most of the other reasons because RMAing the computer is a PitA so I'm making sure this is highly likely hardware related.

• nelsonwcf
    edited June 2021
    Hi again,

Yesterday I updated the firmware with the new version, v1.10 and it seemed that the suspend/sleep issue was finally fixed for me. However, I also notice a fast drain in the battery when in sleep state and went to investigate it a little better.

By using the command "powercfg /a", I got the following output:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
        Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
        Standby (S1)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
            This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate
            Hibernation has not been enabled.

Hybrid Sleep
            Standby (S3) is not available.
            Hibernation is not available.
            The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Fast Startup
            Hibernation is not available.

which implies that the system doesn't really support sleep/suspend function. So basically, the new firmware seems to have simply disabled the hardware sleep function. WTF?

Could someone with the same machine kindly run this command on command prompt as well and see if they also doesn't support sleep levels greater than S0?

• billsey
    No, that looks normal, S3, S2 and S1 are all sleep modes that use more power than S0 does, which is why they are not available. Hibernation is a user setting that is off by default. Turning it on will enable itself and fast startup as options.