Acer One 10 internal WD 500 GB disk unstable, connected to USB (????)

Options
Perziano
Perziano Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2021 in Tablets
Hello, help please. I bought second hand but almost new. I reinstalled windows, updated drivers, formatted hard drive and windows update is updated. Any ideas? I am about to pay eur 30 for an app that supposedly updates the drivers that windows 10 doesnt detect. The problem is that the D: drive, hard disc (Western Digital 500 GB - Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD50&Prod_00LPCX-21VHAT0&Rev_AS07\0000000000000033&0 was configured) disappears and then comes back with the sound like when you connect something to the USB. Basically it is unstable or faulty. But with patience I managed to paste some files and they are still there when it doesnt disappear.
What I don't understand is why or how it is connected to the USB (?) USB Sata 3.0. It is an internal hard drive in the keyboard (laptop / tablet). Thanks!

PS, the hard drive can be ejected like a pen drive from the USB, weird or at least it exceeds my computer knowledge.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC that drive was an option that is installed in the keyboard. The connection between the keyboard and table are those pogo pins and sometimes the magnets don't hold it together as tightly as needed, and sometimes the groove gets a little dirt build up that also don't give as good of contact any more. The power for the drive comes over that connection, and the data connection is recognized by the system as a USB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Perziano
    Perziano Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, they make lots of sense since I have already tried all software options known to me.
    Now, what next? Take it to a shop so they open it and secure it better? I'm no good at all to open it myself.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try cleaning that slot thoroughly with alcohol and a rag, maybe even a q-tip... Also wipe down the keyboard side. If you get enough of the gunk out then it might get a good enough contact to work steadily again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.