How do I update my BIOS ? - Nitro 5 AN515-51

Muneerthepioneer
Muneerthepioneer Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
edited April 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I suspect that my pc running slow and not as fast as when it came out might be because I haven't updated my BIOS and can someone tell me how to do it properly, because its my first time and if I mess up it might harm my laptop.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    I suspect that my pc running slow and not as fast as when it came out might be because I haven't updated my BIOS and can someone tell me how to do it properly, because its my first time and if I mess up it might harm my laptop.

Firstly what Nitro 5 model e.g. AN515-xx do you have and what bios version do you have installed on your Nitro 5? A bios has nothing to do with speed, also, what speed problems do you have? As a bios update is only done to update certain aspects of your computers function(s), it is not done just for the sake of doing a bios update and especially speed problems.

Just as an example the Nitro 5 AN515-55's (which is one of the current models) bios update executable file named "FH51M110.exe" dated; 2020/12/25 and v1.10 comes with a specific "Readme" document that states and is specifically for the following and not speed or anything else: 

1. Update Insyde solution for 20H2 and
    2. Update Microcode

But, a previous Nitro AN515-55 bios update the v1.07 dated; 2020/10/15 is specifically for and to fix some i7 processors compatibility, if you have a i7-xxxx on a Nitro 5 AN-515-55 laptop will fix the compatibility for the i7 processors, btw updating the last v1.10 includes this v1.07 bios update and you don't have to do all the bios updates one by one and the v1.07 readme document states the following: 

1.Improve some i7 CPU compatibility issue.

Most of the Nitro 5's bios updates are an executable .exe type file that are very simple to update within a current windows OS but, you need to do the following before updating:

1. Disable your anti virus or anti malware,
    2. Not run any software while doing the bios update
    3. Never ever allow the computers main power to be interrupted
    4. Always do a bios update while your laptop is plugged into the mains power and not on battery power

As not following these simple steps could damage and/or brick your laptop incase of any interruptions in the bios update process. There are many Nitro 5 models and bios versions, give us more details of the exact Nitro 5 model that you have? Don't update the bios if you have no experience in a bios update and/or if there are certain problems within your system that could interrupt the bios process, because, Acer warns you "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" and this will void your warranty if your laptop is new or under 1 year old or you will have to replace your motherboard if the bios is bricked. 
  • Muneerthepioneer
    StevenGen said:

Firstly what Nitro 5 model e.g. AN515-xx do you have and what bios version do you have installed on your Nitro 5? A bios has nothing to do with speed, also, what speed problems do you have? As a bios update is only done to update certain aspects of your computers function(s), it is not done just for the sake of doing a bios update and especially speed problems.

Just as an example the Nitro 5 AN515-55's (which is one of the current models) bios update executable file named "FH51M110.exe" dated; 2020/12/25 and v1.10 comes with a specific "Readme" document that states and is specifically for the following and not speed or anything else: 

2. Update Microcode

But, a previous Nitro AN515-55 bios update the v1.07 dated; 2020/10/15 is specifically for and to fix some i7 processors compatibility, if you have a i7-xxxx on a Nitro 5 AN-515-55 laptop will fix the compatibility for the i7 processors, btw updating the last v1.10 includes this v1.07 bios update and you don't have to do all the bios updates one by one and the v1.07 readme document states the following: 

Most of the Nitro 5's bios updates are an executable .exe type file that are very simple to update within a current windows OS but, you need to do the following before updating:

4. Always do a bios update while your laptop is plugged into the mains power and not on battery power

As not following these simple steps could damage and/or brick your laptop incase of any interruptions in the bios update process. There are many Nitro 5 models and bios versions, give us more details of the exact Nitro 5 model that you have? Don't update the bios if you have no experience in a bios update and/or if there are certain problems within your system that could interrupt the bios process, because, Acer warns you "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" and this will void your warranty if your laptop is new or under 1 year old or you will have to replace your motherboard if the bios is bricked. 
    my model is Nitro 5 AN515-51 and my BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.22, 2019-03-15

• Muneerthepioneer
    StevenGen said:

2. Update Microcode

hey been a while, are you planning to come back to this thread or no?
  • Hamza_Khan
    Hamza_Khan Member Posts: 1 New User
    StevenGen said:

2. Update Microcode

hey been a while, are you planning to come back to this thread or no?
    I have the same model as you, refer to this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7312?b=1
    Version 1.22 from 2019 is the latest bios version, so you can't update your bios, laptop also sucks I had it from 2017 and have had slow performance since, I think something to do with the harddrive it's very poor. What you can try to do is maybe install an m.2 Ssd into your laptop, they're quite expensive but you can get a smaller size one only to install windows on it, it should immensely increase performance in every desktop task, though cloning windows to your ssd I'm not sure of how to do. Again your bios is up to date so you'll have to look into something else other than bios i'm sorry i wish i could help but i'm in the same boat as you!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Muneerthepioneer,

You can download updated BIOS in the below link,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7312?b=1