Which Device Did You Plug In Popping Up ALL The Time - Aspire 5 A515

Triespice
Triespice Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I just took my computer out of the box and every minute it seems, the pop up box asking "Which device did you plug in?" (set to Headphones) Keeps popping up. When it happens, I haven't plugged anything in to the computer and I even took everything that was plugged in out of it...still happens. It still keeps popping up over and over on top of each other. Sometimes it happens for minutes at a time and I cannot stop it. I am not computer savvy hence why I am asking. Any ideas? I have an Acer Aspire 5 A515. With thanks, 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Shut laptop down. Remove charger, Press and hold paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute. Plug charger back in but wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn the machine back on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Triespice

Tinkerer

Hi Jack. Thank you for your reply and expertise. I tried what you said, but it did not seem to work. That reset hole is so small, I never know if I am "doing it right" should there be a click, should I "feel" like I am pushing down on anything? Thanks
  • JackE
    The switch in the pinhole is spring loaded. Shouldn't take too much pressure to push it all the way down till it stops. Hold it down for about  a minute. Try it again unplugged. You shouldn't be getting this message if nothing, not even a USB mouse or headset, is plugged into the laptop. Is this a brand new laptop? If yes, and the reset button trick doesn't work again, we must try an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset as soon as possible to see if it resolves the issue.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Triespice

Tinkerer

Hi Jack.
    Yes this is a new laptop. Opened it Saturday the 10th. The above issue hasn't happened since doing what you asked with the pinhole reset. I have a new issue however; I just pulled the charging cord out of the laptop so I could head to another room and it shut down. It will not stay on unless plugged in. 
  • JackE
    edited April 2021
    Before trying to turn it on after the pinhole trick, did you wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue as per the earlier post? Might take several hours. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Triespice

Tinkerer

yes it went from steady orange to steady blue in just a moment....but since I last replied, the original problem is happening again. Honestly it did stop for a few hours. I have two issues on a laptop I have had opened for 5 days. Should I just call the 866 number that came with the laptop at this point?
  • JackE
    I suggest that you immediately notify the vendor that you're packing it back up and returning it as defective for a refund or exchange. Do this before the vendor's return merchandise or RMA policy period expires. Usually only a few weeks. ACER warranty repair service will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Triespice

Tinkerer

Thank you. I did, and I am taking it back today. I did call support and we "fixed" the headphone issue, but it magically returned today.... I don't want them fixing it; I wan't a new computer. Thanks again for your help!! Hopefully.... I don't have to come back again (LOL)
  • JackE
    Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ