CPU Upgrade - Veriton X6630G

LeatherHC
LeatherHC Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello I am trying to up grade my cpu from the 2 core pentium to an i5-4590. My motherboard is the Veriton X6630G and is currently running the P11-A1L BIOS. Best buy could not get the system to take even the P12 L bios. 
What BIOS would I need to try to be compatible with a newer cpu?

Were there different motherboards that were produced that may not be upgradeable? 

Thank you for all of the help. 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Why do you want to update BIOS? I don't think you need to update BIOS, you can use i5-4590 without updating BIOS because the motherboard accomodates Intel Haswell CPU.
    UserBenchmark: Acer Veriton X6630G Compatible Components
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    LeatherHC said:
    Hello I am trying to up grade my cpu from the 2 core pentium to an i5-4590. My motherboard is the Veriton X6630G and is currently running the P11-A1L BIOS. Best buy could not get the system to take even the P12 L bios. 
    What BIOS would I need to try to be compatible with a newer cpu?

Were there different motherboards that were produced that may not be upgradeable? 

Thank you for all of the help. 
    LeatherHC Ill give you some of my upgrading experience and advice (just my opinion only, take it as you want?) for your Veriton X6630G, but and just upgrading the CPU is a waste of your money and time, here goes. Your OEM i5-4590 can be safely and 100% upgraded to the Core i7-4790S or an even better choice (if you can get these CPU's?) Core i7-4790S that their TPD's are lower than your i5-4590's TPD of 85W, these two cpu's are 100% compatible and will give you between 20% to 25% increased performance but, is it worth it? As these percentages are not great and there are other means of improving performance like putting an SSD and/or increasing you RAM capacity to the max and putting faster memory. 

Your Veriton X6630G has the following OEM specs:

1. Has the Intel® Haswell processor
    2. Has the Intel® Q87 Chipset i
    3. Up to 8GB per DIMM with maximum memory size of up to 32 GB into its 4x slots
    4. Supports DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM with Dual-channel architecture of unbuffered DIMMs 
    5. Has the HDD.500GB.3.5.(BUY-ACER).7200rpm. ST500DM002.(KC45)..SATA III.IDLE=4.6W.4096 BYTES....KH.50001.038...LEAD-FREE(RoHS). SEAGATE
    6. One PCI Express x16 Gen3 port supporting up to 5 GB/s direction peak bandwidth
    7. POWER.220W.100-127/200-240V~6/3A.. FSP220-30FABA.(BUY-ACER).W/SAFETY(5000M) SINGLE-RAIL,BRONZE..DC.22018.002.. LEAD-FREE.FSP, part #: DC.22018.002

Now and looking at the specs above your Veriton X6630G can be upgraded (if you have the budget and want to?) the following:

1. Change your OEM 
    i5-4590 to either the i7-4790S TPD 65W or the preferably better i7-4790T TPD of 45W as both of these CPU's are 100% compatible and can be changed (that is if they are still available to purchase?). Get a high end CPU paste like the Thermal Grizzly NEW Kryonaut Extreme paste

2. Increase your OEM memory to the slightly higher DDR3-1866/PC3-14900 and to either 16GB or the max 32GB for better responsiveness and performance as it will work (I've done this to a Aspire V3-571G and it worked perfectly and increase memory responsiveness greatly) or ifyou don't want to take the risk, then use the highest recommended memory of the DDR3-1666MHz DIMM' type RAM the same way.

3. Install the latest 
    Veriton X6630G bios version P22.A3 dated; 2015/06/02 titled and fixes the following:
         a. Support new CPU.
         b. FIX System delay at logo point with some smart card reader with smart card inserted.
         c. Fix A particular HDD would cause a hang at Acer Logo during POST.
         d. Fix USB mass storage configured fails.
         e. Fix Windows capsule update function fail.

4. Upgrade your GPU to a better "PCI Express x16 Gen3 port supporting up to 5 GB/s" as these are pretty cheap and will give you much better graphics performance and make your system more compatible with a higher gaming platform and/or graphic needs.

5. Upgrade the spinner HDD of 500GB @ 7200rpm 3.5 inch to the much superior and better SSD 2.5 inch drives (get a 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor so that you can fit this new SSD into the case slot) btw, I would upgrade the hard drive to one of the top and superior "Samsung SSD 870 EVO SATA III 2.5 inch" of your choice or capacity and budget.

6. Upgrade your OEM PSU from the OEM 220W.100-127/200-240V~6/3A to the appropriate and the recommended PSU that the new GPU manufacturer recommends, I would upgrade the PSU to at least a 500W type PSU.

7. Upgrade to Windows 10 Home or Pro whichever you want as both will work very efficiently on this superior spec upgrade.

8. Btw, the upgraded Veriton X6630G that I've suggested above, will leave the "Use Benchmark" Veriton X6630G's bench stats for dead and will be much superior. 

All these upgrades are an overall top upgrade(s) choices, if you want to increase and get the most performance out of your OEM Veriton X6630G desktop, as just upgrading the CPU only, is useless and will not give you much performance increase and/or improve your system, it will be a waste of money. This is my opinion only but I've taken into consideration all the Veriton X6630G's specs and the potential of what this desktop can be upgraded to, as I've done many of these upgrades and they work very well and bring a desktop like the Veriton X6630G to its potential with its OEM hardware being upgraded in this way but, are you prepared to spend the $$$'s on such an upgrade level and go to this level, as that is your choice? Good luck and hope this was of some help to you.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    His OEM processor is one of the dual core Pentiums, not the i5-4590. Not that that makes much difference, the Haswell processors should be a drop in replacement. Hopefully he's already done a SSD upgrade and has adequate ram...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.