changed my screen of my aspire a515-51 to a 1920x1080 120hz and i cant change the brightness

daniels1
daniels1 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

hi, my original screen was the HD version, i changed to a:

15.6 LED Slim FHD 1920x1080 30 Pines 120Hz
n°: N156HHE-GA1

the screen works, but its stuck in the maximun screen brightness.
unistall drivers didint work,.
online some tech guy recomended that i change the cable conector to a 2 lane eDP cable.

any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32". If BIOS version number in right pane is 1.09 or earlier, try 1.15. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    daniels1 said:

online some tech guy recomended that i change the cable conector to a 2 lane eDP cable.

any suggestions?

Firstly, there are 20 LCD type screens that are listed on the recommended "Acer Service Manual" for your A515-51 LCD, that are manufactured by either NNOLUX, PANDA FPD,  AUO, BOE(HK) and STSP BRANCH but, the one that you listed the # N156HHE-GA1 is not one of them as it should start wit a KL.156xx.xxx type part number, also your A515-51 LCD has a specific LCD model number that you have to match with a new LCD replacement exactly as there are at least 50 LCD screen variations for the A515-51 LCD that are recommended by Laptop Screens as they are experts in screens and recommend that the exact Resolution for the A515-51 has to be matched. 

With your problem, I would presume that there is either an installation problem and/or a resolution incompatibility problem with your current screen. if these problems persist then get the suggested "Acer LCD Screen" and let us know and/or always match your OEM's Vendor, Type and Part # that your A515-51 model came with as putting any other LCD screen will cause these problems. I would suggest that you (if you still have your old screen) look at your OEM LCD screen and get the exact model numbers from Acer or the above or any other sources for the best matching screen. Btw, for the A515-51 you need a 30 pin video connector type screen, see below.
  • daniels1

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    JackE said:
    Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32". If BIOS version number in right pane is 1.09 or earlier, try 1.15. Jack E/NJ

thanks!
    i have the bios version/date: "insyde cord. v2.02, 03-01-2019".
    are you suggesting that i should try an older bios version?
  • daniels1

Tinkerer

edited April 2021

StevenGen said:
    daniels1 said:

any suggestions?

Firstly, there are 20 LCD type screens that are listed on the recommended "Acer Service Manual" for your A515-51 LCD, that are manufactured by either NNOLUX, PANDA FPD,  AUO, BOE(HK) and STSP BRANCH but, the one that you listed the # N156HHE-GA1 is not one of them as it should start wit a KL.156xx.xxx type part number, also your A515-51 LCD has a specific LCD model number that you have to match with a new LCD replacement exactly as there are at least 50 LCD screen variations for the A515-51 LCD that are recommended by Laptop Screens as they are experts in screens and recommend that the exact Resolution for the A515-51 has to be matched. 

With your problem, I would presume that there is either an installation problem and/or a resolution incompatibility problem with your current screen. if these problems persist then get the suggested "Acer LCD Screen" and let us know and/or always match your OEM's Vendor, Type and Part # that your A515-51 model came with as putting any other LCD screen will cause these problems. I would suggest that you (if you still have your old screen) look at your OEM LCD screen and get the exact model numbers from Acer or the above or any other sources for the best matching screen. Btw, for the A515-51 you need a 30 pin video connector type screen, see below.

thanks for the reply steven,
    the original screen whas a N156BGA-EB2 rev c1 (HD, 1366x768) (https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/N156BGA-EB2 REV.C1/)
    the new one, when looking on HWiNFO64 its says AUO B156HAN04.2  Monitor hardware id:\AUO42ED

both of them are 30-pins.
    I understant from the website laptopscreens that i should maintain the same configuration.  But looking at my laptop, and seeing that the screen works (except the brightess setting) im left dubious.

I have a person that its going to change my screen to an older one, nonetheless i would like to try anything to try to make it work before rolling back to a previous resolution.

As such, looking online, the original screen seems to use a 1lane cable, and the second a 2lane cable. so i will try to look a cable.
    if these aditional information can change your view, let me know.
  • JackE
    The 2-lane cable is usually used irrespective of whether an HD or FHD screen.

The v2.02 BIOS sometimes may have affected the 51G models. Did the old screen work OK under 2.02? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:

The v2.02 BIOS sometimes may have affected the 51G models. Did the old screen work OK under 2.02? Jack E/NJ
    yes, it was,
    but i can try anyway. give an hour
  • daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:

i did a downgrade to 1.15,
    didnt work.

• JackE
    Oh. I thought you were going to change back to the old HD screen to see if it still dimmed OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:

hi again, 
    i look in the back and the cable says c5v01 edp cable rev 01.  dc020025v00, qc36, any idea if this is 1 or 2 lanes?
  • JackE
    Only one ACER part no. 50.GP4N2.008 is used for both HD(768p) & FHD(1080p) LCD displays in this model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Only one ACER part no. 50.GP4N2.008 is used for both HD(768p) & FHD(1080p) LCD displays in this model. Jack E/NJ
    guess i will have to buy that cable then.
    thanks.
  • daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    thanks for this vary valuable information,

at least according to this, the "50.GP4N2.008" is the same as "DC02002SV00"
    https://exact-parts.com/products/acer-aspire-5-a515-51-lcd-cable-50-gp4n2-008-dc02002sv00

so i have the correct cable (makes sense as the screen works in 1920 and 120hz, except the brightness setting)
  • JackE
    Like implied earlier, I'd like to know if your old HD screen dims now. I suspect that it might not. Which suggests something else happened that caused the dimming issue when you changed the screens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Like implied earlier, I'd like to know if your old HD screen dims now. I suspect that it might not. Which suggests something else happened that caused the dimming issue when you changed the screens. Jack E/NJ
    I'm sorry, that screen got really broken, and i couldn't check your request, so its in the bin.
    This weekend I'm going to try a hard format and reinstall windows from 0 to discard any driver-related issues.
    Ill give my reports afterwards.
    thanks again for the help.
  • JackE
    >>>that screen got really broken, >>>

That wasn't immediately obvious to me. I thought maybe you changed it only for the higher resolution. So precisely how did the old screen get really broken? It might relate to the dimming issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>that screen got really broken, >>>

That wasn't immediately obvious to me. I thought maybe you changed it only for the higher resolution. So precisely how did the old screen get really broken? It might relate to the dimming issue. Jack E/NJ
    i doubt it.

A year and a half ago, i fell on my bicycle and one of the the metal frames that are behind the screen got broken. Fast forward to 1 month ago, the screen is still working, and i took out the film protection  that was on the screen, and due to being with to much glue, got bent.

Then, 1 month ago i was cleaning my screen with a towel, and i did it to strong, and the liquid inside got loose.

After all this history, the screen worked just fine.
  • JackE
    >>>After all this history, the screen worked just fine. >>>

Now I'm really confused. If it's really broken but still works just fine, why can't you test it for dimmability? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>After all this history, the screen worked just fine. >>>

Now I'm really confused. If it's really broken but still works just fine, why can't you test it for dimmability? Jack E/NJ
    sorry, as English is not my main language, i said it wrong.
    - After the crash, the screen worked for a year and a half without problems.
    - When i took out the screen protector out (1.5 years after the crash), the screen got bent a little.
    - And 3 months after that, when i was cleaning the screen, it finally died and lost all capability.
    In all that time, the brightness setting worked.

• JackE
    >>>In all that time, the brightness setting worked.>>>

Yes, I understand. But you had to do major surgery to replace the old screen. My concern is that some collateral damage might have happened in doing this.

Please search 'bright' in Windows start menu. Click change brightness level. Please post screenshot of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daniels1

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    no, didnt work.