Best M.2 wifi card for acer aspire xc-830

Marky73
Marky73 Member Posts: 9 New User
Can someone recommend an upgrade to the Atheros M.2 card already installed? What type do I need & which ones are fastest/most reliable. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

M

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The Aspire XC-830 comes with either the Atheros card yours has or an Intel. They both support 802.11ac 1x1 and use the same two antennas. You should be able to replace it with most any M.2 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth card but the only real speed increase will be with a 802.11ax WiFi 6 card, and it will still be 1x1, so it won't be a big increase. Typically the WiFi is less of a bottleneck than your internet connection. What speed is your internet supposed to be at and what do tests like speedtest.net show?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The Aspire XC-830 comes with either the Atheros card yours has or an Intel. They both support 802.11ac 1x1 and use the same two antennas. You should be able to replace it with most any M.2 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth card but the only real speed increase will be with a 802.11ax WiFi 6 card, and it will still be 1x1, so it won't be a big increase. Typically the WiFi is less of a bottleneck than your internet connection. What speed is your internet supposed to be at and what do tests like speedtest.net show?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marky73
    edited April 2021
    thx for the reply. I do have the Atheros card. My old PC has an Asus PCIe card and I got download speeds between 250-300mbps. Now I’m lucky if I get 120mbps
  • billsey
    Try speedtest.net to see what they are saying and check to see which band your connection is using. If 2.4 use a tool such as WiFi Analyzer to see if there are a lot of other users in your channel and possibly switch to one that's got fewer conflicts, and better yet switch to a 5GHz band... Depending on the model of router you may be able to widen the 5GHz to 20Mhz or 40MHz band.
  • Marky73
    I’m definitely using 5GHz. I’ve checked it all. Maybe I need a better antenna or extend it or something. Or the Atheros card is just crappy. I dunno