How to update BIOS on Aspire A515 -44 from Linux ?

yannick7fr
yannick7fr Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,

Is there a way to update the BIOS on an Asprire A515-44 from a Linux Operating System (Ubuntu 20.10 x64) ?

I know Windows is provided by default, but Windows is definitely not my cup of tea and I need to work :)
When I go to download page for my brand new laptop, I can only get a file with extension .exe.
I tried to run this exe with a Windows 10 live USB stick with no luck (Bios update failed ....)

so is there a way to update the BIOS from Linux ? any other way ? Can wine do the stuff ? Anyone already done something like this ?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    BIOS updates, whether from Windows or Linux, are NOT recommended unless you're trying to fix a major issue that the BIOS update description specifically addresses. The Wine overlay should not be attempted due to a much  greater risk of bricking the mainboard than even from Windows or by using the FN+ESC cold boot method of the update binary from a USB pendrive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello JackE,

And thank you for quick answer.
    I actually have a strange behavior of the laptop, not related to the Operating System: Sometimes, the CPU goes very very slow and the fans are running really really fast. The computer become almost unusable (huge lag 2-3 sec- on each click): CPU benchmark I ran at this time compare the Ryzen 5 to an Athlon XP 1900+....
    It happen running Windows, running Linux and sometimes when the computer boots (POST take a long time and boot can take more than 5 min !)

My first though is to load default setting in BIOS, which improve the problem because it happen less often, but still happen.
    So I now need to update the BIOS to move forward on my investigation.

Can you explain more about the FN+ESC cold boot method of the update binary from a USB drive ?
    I do not manage to do it from that part, maybe I'm missing something

• JackE
    If you didn't install Linux alongside Windows. the safest method is to switch the Linux drive for another drive and install Windows. Then run the flash EXE. Then switch back to your Linux drive if the machine is still functional after the flash.

The FN+ESC cold boot method still requires running the EXE on another Windows machine to extract yet another binary buried in the EXE. This binary is renamed and then placed in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted stick with an activity LED. The stick is inserted in the fully-charged plugged in laptop. Then press and hold the FN+ESC keys while turning the machine on. If successful, the stick's LED will show activity for about 5 mins and the machine will automatically shut down. However, this method is not very reliable from my experience and has a much higher risk of bricking the machine.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SantiG
    SantiG Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Jack, about the FN+ESC boot method, do you know the name of the BIOS image to place in the USB stick for this model (A515-44)? I've read this name has to be an exact name for each model but don't know how to find it out. Do you know if a particular USB port should be used?
  • JackE
    edited April 2021
    It would be ZAUR_112.FD  for latest BIOS version. Each USB port must be tried. A bootable shell USB method with an EFI file is also possible but even riskier. If you can fix the issue with an occasional F9 default setting in the BIOS, then I strongly suggest that you use this method instead.

However if you insist on taking a chance on bricking the machine with an update anyway, arguably the safest & quickest method is to temporarily exchange your current Linux system drive with another drive and install Win10 and run the BIOS update Windows executable, Once updated, put the Linux drive back in. You would then probably have to re-configure the BIOS trusted EFI file option. Even this method could get a bit complex.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic since you are essentially trying to mod the BIOS firmware outside the ACER-recommended Windows method.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Acer should check to provide more models for future bios updates via linux: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=acer
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello

Thank you guys for replies !

This is the first time I buy an Acer computer, I have to say I'm a little surprise about the BIOS update process on Acer hardware. I had a Lenovo before that, and the update BIOS utility is available from the BIOS itself, same on the Asus computer of my wife. Anyway, I'm not here to complain :)

I think I'll go with the safest one, installing a windows OS on a separated drive and do the switch with my linux one. I'll take some time, but I'm not comfortable with the FN+ESC cold boot method. I'll let you guys know.

However, I have a quick question :
    JackE said:
     Once updated, put the Linux drive back in. You would then probably have to re-configure the BIOS trusted EFI file option. Even this method could get a bit complex.

What do you mean exactly by "re-configure the BIOS trusted EFI file option" ?

• JackE
    For better security than old the legacy BIOS, the UEFI bootstrapper chip looks for a Windows and/or Linux bootloader file in a separate hidden partition on the HDD or SSD. The hidden partition is usually labelled EFI and the files in it usually have an EFI extension such as grubx64.efi which is the Linux bootloader.

If the grub bootloader location on the HDD is missing or missing in the UEFI chip memory, it must be added back usually in the BIOS Main tab (called a trusted file option) or the system won't boot Linux. You may not have this issue if the Windows installation and BIOS flash process does not erase the grubx64.efi file from the BIOS memory or from the HDD's efi partition. However, If it does, the fix is usually booting a live Linux session from the Linux installation stick, entering the terminal command prompt and entering 'boot-repair'. This should restore the grubx64.efi.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hi

I do not have such option in the BIOS of my machine :/
    See attached picture.

Should I be worried ?

• JackE
    Not yet. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Boot tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello JackE

Please find the boot tab of the BIOS

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Let me add all the other tab, I think the one you're looking for is the Security tab, aren't you ?

• JackE
    Yes, sorry, the EFI file location on the HDD or SSD would be set in the BIOS Security tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello

This is the first time I buy an Acer computer, I have to say I'm a little surprise about the BIOS update process on Acer hardware. I had a Lenovo before that, and the update BIOS utility is available from the BIOS itself, same on the Asus computer of my wife. Anyway, I'm not here to complain :)

JackE said:
    If you didn't install Linux alongside Windows. the safest method is to switch the Linux drive for another drive and install Windows. Then run the flash EXE. Then switch back to your Linux drive if the machine is still functional after the flash.

I Installed Linux standalone. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid :)

JackE said:

The FN+ESC cold boot method still requires running the EXE on another Windows machine to extract yet another binary buried in the EXE. This binary is renamed and then placed in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted stick with an activity LED. The stick is inserted in the fully-charged plugged in laptop. Then press and hold the FN+ESC keys while turning the machine on. If successful, the stick's LED will show activity for about 5 mins and the machine will automatically shut down. However, this method is not very reliable from my experience and has a much higher risk of bricking the machine.

This method looks dangerous too me :/

I think I'll go with the safest one, installing a windows OS on a separated drive and do the switch with my linux one. I'll take some time, but I'm not comfortable with the FN+ESC cold boot method. I'll let you guys know.

JackE said:
     Once updated, put the Linux drive back in. You would then probably have to re-configure the BIOS trusted EFI file option. Even this method could get a bit complex.

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello

JackE said:

JackE said:

JackE said:

• yannick7fr

Tinkerer

Hello

JackE said:

JackE said:

JackE said:

• afa
    afa Member Posts: 3 New User
    Latest Kubuntu on Aspire 3 A315-41-R5EK
    Every key from F1 to F12 works without the [Fn]. 
    Firmware bug at boot
    Read Bios update would help.
    Is this correct?

• JackE
    Enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 or FN+F2 on startup. Go to BIOS Main tab and change option for FN key behavior. Press Ctrl+S if the option is hidden.

Jack E/NJ