Touch screen - HID descriptor request failed - Acer Spin5 (SP513-54N)

Options
Bammbam
Bammbam Member Posts: 10 New User
edited April 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello acer community,
every now and then the touch screen of my acer spin5 does not work. In the hardware manage it says: "The device cannot start (Code 10). A request for the HID descriptor failed". I bought the computer relatively recently (January 2021) and the issue has started to occur relatively soon after the purchase.

Sometimes simple deactivating and reactivating the HID-device helps to solve the issue. But sometimes it does not solve the issue. The problem occurs frequently. I have tried un- and reinstalling the HID-device driver. I have installed the latest drivers provided by acer. I have also updated my Windows system but the problem remains.

Can someone tell me how I can solve this problem? Thank you very much!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Bammbam
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hey, thank you for your response! I have installed exactly this driver (which I downloaded from the acer driver support site) but the problem still occurs.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I am seeing exactly the same error on my Spin 5. I just did an uninstall on it then told Device Manager to rescan and it was working again. Microsoft seems to be having some issues lately with their lowest level USB hub drivers that end up providing corrupted data for the devices connected, and USB is one of the internal connections use for things like touch pads, cameras, keyboards, etc..
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Could the problem be related to this version of the bios? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Bammbam
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Unfortunately the issue still occurs.

I have already downloaded the "Adds panel EDID values" update. When I run it it says "The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS". Therefore the program does not do anything.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you report the failing device idhardware in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bammbam
    Options
    yes, I hope this gives what you ask for:

Device description: I2C HID Device
    Hardware IDs: ACPI\VEN_CUST&DEV_0000  and  ACPI\CUST0000  and    *CUST0000

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you inform the version of the bios and try to reset the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bammbam
    Options
    BIOS-Version/-Datum    Insyde Corp. V1.09, 24.12.2020

Recently when the touch screen again stopped to react I reset the battery by shutting the PC down and then pushing the button for different amount of times with a needle. However this did not fix the touch screen issue.

• billsey
    Options
    Most of the issues like this I've seen lately can be traced to some updates pushed through Windows update. I believe they are likely ones from Intel and related to lower level chipset access. What happens is either one of the internal USB hubs disappears (causing the devices using that hub to also disappear) of the data coming over those ports is corrupted, causing your symptoms. Usually they push out another update a few days or weeks later and it all clears up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bammbam
    Options
    Thank you for your response. The issue has been occuring for several months now. Despite the fact that I keep updating my system as fast as possible the issue has never been solved. So if anybody knows how to fix that problem please let me know.
  • billsey
    Options
    Try removing the USB hubs in Device Manager, then let Windows reinstall them during a reboot. That sometimes can help.
  • Bammbam
    Options
    billsey said:
    Try removing the USB hubs in Device Manager, then let Windows reinstall them during a reboot. That sometimes can help.
    Thanks for the response. These steps I have done many times already (as stated in the initial post)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Could the problem be related to this version of the bios? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Options
    Bammbam said:
    billsey said:
    Thanks for the response. These steps I have done many times already (as stated in the initial post)
    I thought you had only dealt with the HID devices, not the underlying hub device...

• Bammbam
    Options
    billsey said:

I thought you had only dealt with the HID devices, not the underlying hub device...

okay, I see what you mean. Today when the issue with the touch screen occured again I also tried deinstalling the USB hubs and letting windows reinstall them. Unfortunately it did not help to solve the problem either.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @BammbamCould the problem be related to this version of the bios? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bammbam
    Options

Could the problem be related to this version of the bios? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

Bammbam said:
    Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Unfortunately the issue still occurs.

I have already downloaded the "Adds panel EDID values" update. When I run it it says "The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS". Therefore the program does not do anything.
    as I said before unfortunately this does not help.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are there any drivers with problems in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bammbam
    Options
    Are there any drivers with problems in the device manager?
    In the hardware manager only the I2C HID device shows an error symbol. Opening the I2C HID device it says: "The device cannot start (Code 10). A request for the HID descriptor failed"