Whispermode 2.0 feature not working Nitro 5 AN517-52

Vey
Vey Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hi, I have a whispermode ready RTX3060 Nitro 5 AN517-52 laptop but this feature is not working. 

In Nvidia Geforce Experience I can see that all prerequisites are met, except the point: "Enabled by Notebook". 

No idea how to enable it. Originally laptop came with Linux and I made a fresh Win 10 installation, installing all drivers but maybe I have missed something? 

Thank you in advance for support. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Anzoken
    Anzoken Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hi, hope I'm not too late to this discussion. I just recently got an an515-45 and faced this same issue with whispermode and was able to solve it.

From my understanding whispermode only works on the drivers you download from acer. Especially GEForce version has to be the same as the one provided by acer.

This is a problem as GEForce can't be set to not auto update and will almost always update to the new version the next time you launch it or after restart.

To fix this you will need to tweak a file in the GEForce foler as follows:
    go to your windows drive, enable hidden foler view then navigate to ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Downloader 
    here there is a file called gfeupdate.json

You will need to delete this to avoid auto update, the only problem is a new file gets generated every time GEForce starts up
    To fix this you can right click>create text document and then rename this to gfeupdate.json (file extension also should be enabled in folder view to edit this properly)
    Right click on this new file and under properties set it as read-only.

That's it. Now GEForce will not update on it's own anymore.

You can now install the Nvidia drivers from acer website for your GPU as well.
    One problem I faced is that with this GEForce version, drivers can't be updated. You have to manually download and install from NVidia website.
    Take care though as this might have a chance of disabling whispermode again, incase that happens, rolling back to acer drivers will fix it.

Answers

• Vey
    This is how it looks like currently:

• Ayey
    Ayey Member Posts: 4 New User
    @Vey I have the exact same problem, did you get it solved or any help ?
  • Vey
    Hi, not yet. I am working on it with Nvidia support. 
    At one point, I was asked to create a new local Win10 user and surprisingly, whispermode was ok there for a moment... until I made a restart. 
    So laptop is capable of having this activated but something keeps blocking it. 
    I will let you know if we find any solution for this. 
  • Aurbii
    Aurbii Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Even i have this issue in predator helios. looks like its compatibility issue with windows 10. because i tried to install the Video driver from acer website and it throw an error stating its incompatible with the version of windows. i tried reset my laptop as well. but it didnt work.
  • Aurbii
    Aurbii Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    This issue is with RTX 3060. Saw a couple of threads in this community, but no solutions yet..

• Ayey
    edited June 2021
    Bump on this thread,have anyone else encountered this, or more important, is there a solution? It is a pretty nifty feature to be able to use with the rtx 3060,70,80 cards etc. Any Acer input?
  • Vey
    I have reported it to NVidia and after checks done by 2nd level support, this issue has been passed to developers to investigate further. Lets see what will be the outcome of that. I will let you know once I get some reply. 
  • Ayey
    Vey said:
    I have reported it to NVidia and after checks done by 2nd level support, this issue has been passed to developers to investigate further. Lets see what will be the outcome of that. I will let you know once I get some reply. 
    Thanks! ^^
  • simjeee
    simjeee Member Posts: 3 New User
    getting same problem on an acer nitro 515-55 with i7-10750H and RTX 3060 laptop... Any news ?
    Also i think it might be something linked with acer quick access or application installed by default when you buy your PC and lock this option by forcing it to enable in regedit but while searching whispermode or maybe silent mode in regedit i didnt found anything...
  • @simjeeeYou can find silentmode here:

However, I believe it is not related to the whispermode problem.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • simjeee
    already tried but change nothing
  • simjeee
    still looking for solutions...
  • I think it is necessary to update the bios and firmware:

Other users had this issue with other brands and it seems to have been resolved with the bios update, according to some threads on reddit.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Vey
    Thanks egydiocoelho for reply. I did run both BIOS update and it did not help in my case.
  • I was researching whispermode 2.0 and it looks like this feature works with ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. Some users have reported that this has been resolved when other manufacturers made this feature available with a bios update.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vey
    edited July 2021
    I can ask Acer about this AI. Just the weird thing is, that WM 2.0 few times ran fine at my laptop, without any BIOS update. So my laptop is capable of running it, just, after restart, I assume, some conflict appears and it is disabled again. I just could not find any solution that would be permanent. 
    However, last time when it was running and I set this up for a game, game still runs in that mode and utilize Whisper Mode even if panel shows that it is disabled. So currently, I have it disabled, but games still utilize it:

• C4RNAGE
    C4RNAGE Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2021
    I'm Having The Same Problem My FPS Won't Go Above The Refresh Rate And GTA V won't go over 90 fps with any settings (even ultra) I have a acer nitro 5 with a rtx 3060 then I searched YouTube nothing showed up similar to this situation does the solution of this odd thing out rn (if out tell me) 
  • maggres
    maggres Member Posts: 2 New User
    Any updates on this problem cause im also currently having the exact same problem
  • Vey
    maggres said:
    Any updates on this problem cause im also currently having the exact same problem
    No, no updates on my side. Last info from Acer engineering team is that WM 2.0 is no enabled on my BIOS and I need to contact manufacturer. When I told them how come, few times it started fine for me, I got no reply so far.
  • Anzoken
    Anzoken Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hi, hope I'm not too late to this discussion. I just recently got an an515-45 and faced this same issue with whispermode and was able to solve it.

From my understanding whispermode only works on the drivers you download from acer. Especially GEForce version has to be the same as the one provided by acer.

This is a problem as GEForce can't be set to not auto update and will almost always update to the new version the next time you launch it or after restart.

To fix this you will need to tweak a file in the GEForce foler as follows:
    go to your windows drive, enable hidden foler view then navigate to ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Downloader 
    here there is a file called gfeupdate.json

You will need to delete this to avoid auto update, the only problem is a new file gets generated every time GEForce starts up
    To fix this you can right click>create text document and then rename this to gfeupdate.json (file extension also should be enabled in folder view to edit this properly)
    Right click on this new file and under properties set it as read-only.

That's it. Now GEForce will not update on it's own anymore.

You can now install the Nvidia drivers from acer website for your GPU as well.
    One problem I faced is that with this GEForce version, drivers can't be updated. You have to manually download and install from NVidia website.
    Take care though as this might have a chance of disabling whispermode again, incase that happens, rolling back to acer drivers will fix it.