Aspire 5 A515-51 power up problems

gazza82
gazza82 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Initially this laptop had the "Black Screen" issue. I tried the solutions suggested (holding down power button and pressing battery reset SW2) but these didn't work. So I removed the screen bezel and on touching the screen cable it came back on!

But now I have a different issue.

I ran through the power button and battery resets again and now the laptop refuses to power up. It is on the mains adaptop but the orange charge light does NOT come on. The power button doesn't operate or illuminate the keys (it's backlit). I've checked the ac adaptor and that shows 19v DC at the jack plug. I've also checked the power jack and at the connection to the motherboard and am still seeing 19v. So that works. So it's an internal issue.

I've checked and reset the keyboard ribbon cable and checked all the other connections to ensure they are not loose.

The memory card feels slightly warm when the power is connected.

The small SW1 safety switch seems to be operating but how can I check this properly? I've taped it down and added some thin card between it and the bottom cover to make sure it is being activated but would like to confirm it is making a circuit. (I assume if this isnt operating it will cut the power to the motherboard.

Finally, should the laptop work if the battery pack has been disconnected/removed? (This model has the pack inside  to the bottom cover needs to be completely removed to acccess the battery and connections). That would eliminate the battery and probably mean a keyboard issue but if the battery is required to create a circuit then resetting the battery may have killed it. 

thanks is advance

Answers