Anyone succeeded with installing graphic drivers for Win 8.1, e.g Ryzen 5 4500U??A515-44

JanFralst
JanFralst Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Acer only offers Win 10 drivers!

Amd themselves only offer Win 10 and Win 7 drivers!

Anyone who knows about a workaround for this?? I need to run both Win 10 and 8!!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The A515-44's ACER-proprietary mainboard was only certified to work properly with the ACER-flavored Win10 version & drivers (yes, some system files & dlls might be different than the Microsoft generic Win10 version) that it originally left the factory with. Not Win7, Not Win8x. Not even later major Win10 updates which are often like entirely new Windows versions under the older Win numbering/naming conventions.

That said, the A515-44's AMD graphics driver is also ACER-proprietary due to its integration with the ACER proprietary mainboard. Thus it's not necessarily the same or similar driver as other manufacturer's might use with their own  mainboards even though the AMD chipset might be of the same generic AMD CPU family.

Sometimes, but not always, the driver tools you already tried can pick up a workable solution to deal with older Windows versions. Apparently you lucked out with a machine that can't handle Win8x. So you probably get a 640 x 480 VGA resolution at best. At this point, all i can suggest, is trying some other driver tools (some freeware, some trial/shareware) that might get you better Win8x resolutions. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    If running 8x, you can try installing Win7 drivers in Win8x's Win7 compatibility mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JanFralst

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack E/NJ!

I´ve already tried that old trick with the Setup.exe in Win7 compatibility mode - it doesn´t seem to work, whatever driver i use?!

I´ve also tried some other unofficial modified setups - but no luck!!

If someone have had any luck with this please share your success with me
    ;) ! My system is A515-44 with Ryzen 5 4500U!!
  • JackE
    Have you tried running iobit's DriverBooster freeware in Win8.x to see if it'll pick up anything better for it on line? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JanFralst

Tinkerer

Ok, I'll try that! Thanks!!
  • JanFralst

Tinkerer

No, Driver Booster didn´t find anything - same with SDI-tool/DriverPackSolution....!!

It seems to be impossible? Strange in these times when hysterical googling almost always gives an answer..!

A fresh installation of Win 10 has approx 150 background processes idling. With hard tweaking you maybe go under a hundred. :/

Some easy tweaking of Win 8 takes you easily down to 20-30 background processes! Thats what I like!! =)
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The A515-44's ACER-proprietary mainboard was only certified to work properly with the ACER-flavored Win10 version & drivers (yes, some system files & dlls might be different than the Microsoft generic Win10 version) that it originally left the factory with. Not Win7, Not Win8x. Not even later major Win10 updates which are often like entirely new Windows versions under the older Win numbering/naming conventions.

That said, the A515-44's AMD graphics driver is also ACER-proprietary due to its integration with the ACER proprietary mainboard. Thus it's not necessarily the same or similar driver as other manufacturer's might use with their own  mainboards even though the AMD chipset might be of the same generic AMD CPU family.

Sometimes, but not always, the driver tools you already tried can pick up a workable solution to deal with older Windows versions. Apparently you lucked out with a machine that can't handle Win8x. So you probably get a 640 x 480 VGA resolution at best. At this point, all i can suggest, is trying some other driver tools (some freeware, some trial/shareware) that might get you better Win8x resolutions. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.