My Aspire E5-473G keeps blinking when I plug-in the charger (when laptop is turned on).

rawmealstyyv
rawmealstyyv Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
Hello. I have this problem and I do not know whether it is my battery or the charger, or some sort of circuit problem in my motherboard (I'm not even sure if this is even possible).

But here is the thing, whenever I plug in the charger during my laptop is turned on, I hardly get the stable charging status because most of the time, it charges. Then about 1-2 seconds later, it doesn't charge.. or sometimes, the power light, and charger indicator lights keep blinking after that 2 seconds of charging. Also, there are times when I plug in the charger, it doesn't charge, like nothing happens. There are also instances that I get a stable charging status. 

So I opened my laptop, and tried to remove the battery. I switched off the battery mode in the motherboard, and I tried to power on my laptop. It's good, it turned on but minutes after I am using my laptop, it just powers off immediately. 

There is no e5-473g unit in my neighborhood or my relatives that I could try to see if either of my charger and battery is the problem. So I am asking here hoping to get significant information from you because I plan on buying a battery but because I am not sure yet if it's my battery is the problem. I still hold my purchase plan. Thank you for reading my concern. 

Answers

• atexit8
    atexit8 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Remove the battery and keep it out.
    Power on the laptop with just the charger.
    Does the laptop stay on?
  • rawmealstyyv
    atexit8 said:
    Remove the battery and keep it out.
    Power on the laptop with just the charger.
    Does the laptop stay on?
    I already tried that, (I also included this on my post) but like I said, It turned on, but after a few minutes, the power went out immediately. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi rawmealstyyv,

# Power drain,

1)Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2)Press and hold the Power button down until the unit goes off. 
    3)Search for a pinhole on the backside of your laptop, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole, press and hold it down for 25 seconds. Then release the paperclip and try to turn on the unit and check.​
  • rawmealstyyv
    Easwar said:
    Hi rawmealstyyv,

# Power drain,

1)Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2)Press and hold the Power button down until the unit goes off. 
    3)Search for a pinhole on the backside of your laptop, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole, press and hold it down for 25 seconds. Then release the paperclip and try to turn on the unit and check.​
    Hello. I am sorry for the late reply. But I already tried that and It didn't work. :(
  • rawmealstyyv
    Also, I observed something. It charges for 6 seconds and then it blinks (only when the laptop is in sleep or hibernate or turned off) and repeats and so on. After several minutes of 6 seconds blink it chargers stable-ly. 

Another observation, when my laptops is charging (when in sleep or hibernate or turned off) and then I try pressing the power button the two LED indicators start to blink in-sync while 1 beep sound occurs. 

Also, I tried removing the battery, (direct power from the outlet to my laptop) my laptop doesn't turn on. I wonder what is the problem. Please help me. Thanks!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>So I opened my laptop, and tried to remove the battery. I switched off the battery mode in the motherboard, and I tried to power on my laptop. It's good, it turned on but minutes after I am using my laptop, it just powers off immediately. >>>

>>>Also, I tried removing the battery, (direct power from the outlet to my laptop) my laptop doesn't turn on>>>

This two statements seem conflicting. It either temporarily turns on or it doesn't turn on. Which one is it? Also please explain how you switched off battery mode. Please post a phone photo of the switch you are referring to if possible.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rawmealstyyv
    JackE said:
    >>>So I opened my laptop, and tried to remove the battery. I switched off the battery mode in the motherboard, and I tried to power on my laptop. It's good, it turned on but minutes after I am using my laptop, it just powers off immediately. >>>

>>>Also, I tried removing the battery, (direct power from the outlet to my laptop) my laptop doesn't turn on>>>

This two statements seem conflicting. It either temporarily turns on or it doesn't turn on. Which one is it? Also please explain how you switched off battery mode. Please post a phone photo of the switch you are referring to if possible.

Jack E/NJ

The first statement was true at that time (around April this year) Now, the second statement is the latest observation, it doesn't turn on.

I opened the back of my laptop, removed the battery, and there was a tiny switch on the motherboard that refers to battey (on the lower left of the motherboard (I'm sorry I can't take a photo of it now since I am using the laptop. Tomorrow, I can take photo of it and add into this thread. Thank you, sir. 
  • rawmealstyyv
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

here are the photos, sir. 
  • JackE
    OK. That switch cuts ALL power to the mainboard for maintenance. Even when the battery is removed, the switch must be turned back on. Some mainboards will run indefinitely on AC alone when the switch is on. But others will NOT run or will automatically turn off unless a good battery is detected. Stop trying to force the machine to run without trying a good battery. New replacement batteries are only about $25USD.

Jack E/NJ

• rawmealstyyv
    JackE said:
    OK. That switch cuts ALL power to the mainboard for maintenance. Even when the battery is removed, the switch must be turned back on. Some mainboards will run indefinitely on AC alone when the switch is on. But others will NOT run or will automatically turn off unless a good battery is detected. Stop trying to force the machine to run without trying a good battery. New replacement batteries are only about $25USD.
    I was close to buying battery replacement, but I wasn't sure if the battery itself was the main problem. I also tried the powercfg battery report in command prompt and the difference in capacity reduced to more or less half. Is it safe to say that the battery is the real deal? Thank you.
  • JackE
    >>> Is it safe to say that the battery is the real deal? >>>

Sorry. No 100% guarantees. But you are also risking collateral damage to the mainboard by poking around inside rather than simply trying a new battery. Are you wearing a grounded bracelet?

Jack E/NJ

• GABRYCA
    GABRYCA Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Because of my last experience, I think you should just try to replace the battery, if you feel uncomfortable by doing it, get to an Acer authorized repair center.

AKA ANONYMOUSGCA