Set Battery Limit / Threshold for Aspire A315-42-R0W-1-3

nicoadamo
nicoadamo Member Posts: 24 Networker
Dear Community Members,

Following this website, it seems the subject model doesn't support battery charging control, because for battery there's no "1/3" (one out of 3, or more options indeed) like the website shows. Is it really that way?
I know leaving the laptop many hours with the charger connected could affect battery life if its level keeps at 100%...

Regards,

Nicolás Adamo

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Too many other factors play a more significant role in decreasing Li-ion battery capacity over time than keeping a battery at partial vs full charge.  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• nicoadamo
    nicoadamo Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Which other factors do you have in mind? Temperature, occasionally discharging down to 20% and charging to 80%, ... ?
  • JackE
    edited March 2021
    Falling below the critical charge level of ~5% is arguably most important factor. Can destroy a battery the first time it happens especially if auto shutdown fails. The practical difference between maintaining a Li-ion cell at 100% vs. anything less than 100% is negligible in the real world. Routinely cycling between just below 10% & 100% is a good practice.

Jack E/NJ

• Nickeor
    Nickeor Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problem acer A315-42B laptop is only 3 years old, I already have 50% of my battery, because it is constantly on charge. I never discharged it to a low level and hardly used it. How do I enable the 80% limit mode????

• JackE

Sorry https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Nickeor likely won't help. Because normal shelf-life deterioration for a lithium ion battery is between 10-20% a year after battery manufacture date. Your battery, even if only 3 yrs since the battery (not the laptop sales date) was manufactured, would be expected to lose about 30-60% of it's manufacturing-date design capacity even if unused, setting on a shelf or plugged in all the time. Makes little or no difference.

Jack E/NJ

• Nickeor
    Nickeor Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2023

Before the acer laptop, I had a samsung for 11 years with a limit of 80%, it lost 18% of capacity. So I was wrong when I bought acer?

• JackE

Acer doesn't make batteries. Batteries are commodity parts made by others such as LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, Lite-On, NoNames, etc. Acer may re-label them.

Maybe you lucked out. Got a good Samsung battery. But likely wasn't due to the 80% limiter. I have an 13 yo Acer netbook with original battery that still retains about 40% of designcapacity. Battery mfg date is probably ~15yo. Far less than typical degradaton. But never used 80% limiter. Maybe I lucked out on that one too.

Unless the latest AcerCareCenter or AcerQuickAccess apps for your model at this link have the option, you'll have to try 3rd party freeware which usually aren't automatic but notify at whatever charge limit setpoints you think will work. Do a Google search battery limiter freeware

Jack E/NJ