Touchpad Click Button Action Not Working Aspire V5-573

kencoburn
kencoburn Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire V5-573 which I have upgraded to Windows 10 Home.  Everything works fine except for the Touchpad.  The mouse function works but the left and right click function on the bottom of the touchpad does not work.  I have updated the Touchpad Synoptics PS/2 Port driver to Date: 01/09/2016 Version: 19.1.3.6 but that did not fix the problem.  The only way I can get the left and right click function to work is by tapping of the touchpad.  I have searched for solutions on the Internet but there is nothing that relates to this specific problem.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,365 Trailblazer
    There is a single ribbon cable that runs between the touchpad and the motherboard, so if it were a cable issue it wouldn't work at all, rather than just the switches. If you press harder do you hear the switch click sound? The battery is right under that and there is a possibility the battery is getting old enough to start swelling, which could pressure from below the touchpad, stopping the movement enough to cause the switches to no longer compress enough to click.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kencoburn

Tinkerer

Thank you for responding.  Wind I press the left or right switches I do hear a clicking sound.  I am wondering if the Windows 10 update is not compatible with any of the available drivers.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi kencoburn,

# Try to update the keyboard driver/touchpad driver
    1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option keyboard/touchpad.
    4. Under the title standard keyboard/touchpad.
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update driver.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • kencoburn

Tinkerer

I had already tried to update the Touchpad driver (see above) but that did not fix the problem.