Strange screen 'freeze' and 'grey-out' on Helios 500 PH517-51 2018

AlexE
AlexE Member Posts: 41 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited April 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi,

Recently, the LCD screen on my Helios 500 from 2018 has been playing up.  i7-8750H with GTX 1070.  You can see a sequence of photos showing the problem below.

Especially while the laptop is 'warming up' the screen will freeze, gradually fade, with lines and 'stipples' until the screen is whited-out. 

Initially I found that touching the screen would 'fix' it, occasionally needing a few 'taps'.  This would almost instantly remove the fades/white-out and get the screen animating again, like turning a switch on.  Once 'warmed up' the screen is usually more reliable.

However today I find that I need to 'twist' the top-left and top-right edges of the screen to get it to 'connect' and refresh the screen, and just today its taken 10-15 minutes of me gently 'twisting' so it seems to be getting worse.  Touching and twisting other bits of the screen don't seem to help.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.  I guess something is loose and causing some screen data 'interference' - perhaps a cable, or something in the screen itself?

PS - I have noticed the occasional 'mite/tiny insect' walking across the screen, so hope they haven't made a home in the LCD somewhere.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answers

• AlexE
    Answer ✓
    An update - after my 'fix' worked for quite a while, the screen started to play up again sadly.  Increasingly I had to push the back-bottom of the screen towards me to get the screen to work, then more and more gently to get it to stay on.  After a while like that it would stay on for most of the day.

In the end I bought this screen for £65 (+NZ import tax) from these guys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bumblesale - who actually seem to be this company https://requireit.co.uk . They seem to be the cheapest and easiest for this replacement screen I could find anywhere in the world.  I hesitated for quite a while as Ebay estimated the postage from UK to NZ (where I am) as £100, but actually going through the order process there was a better & cheaper option of around £20 - a bargain to ship a screen half-way around the world.  Installing the screen was easier than I expected, even after taking the screen apart a couple of times to 'bodge' it previously. 

To my pleasant surprise, the screen seems clearer - not just the dust!  Ever since I bought this laptop, there has always been a lot of 'backlight bloom', especially on black screens.  It made some games look a bit ugly, like Skyrim loading screens.  This new screen seems a lot blacker, with no bloom I've found so far.  The model number seems to be the same as the old one, so I think the old screen was a 'bad' batch, or mishandled a bit during factory install.

egydiocoelho for not replying sooner, but here's a photo of me taking apart the screen just now and you can see the sticky-pads I was using to try and put a bit of pressure on the 'DO NOT TOUCH' area of the screen to make it work.  Its possible if I put some more pads around the back of the screen-bottom (or moved some of the existing ones to the rear) I may have been able to 'fix' the screen again, but I am happier than I expected with this new one :) 

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    AlexE glad you got it sorted i was going to say it would mostly be hardware either the edp cable faulty or the display itself but you have figured it out anyways so  please accept your own answer as solved so everyone with similar issues can find it quickly when searching :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

Answers

• Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. about the problem, there was a case of a user who had a similar problem and which occurred when an external monitor was connected to the DP port. Are you connecting an external monitor? Have you also checked the edp cable?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AlexE
    Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz. about the problem, there was a case of a user who had a similar problem and which occurred when an external monitor was connected to the DP port. Are you connecting an external monitor? Have you also checked the edp cable?
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

The Acer support page says this is Model Name: PH517-51|Part Number: NH.Q3NSA.002

I don't have it plugged into anything.

EDP cable?  Is that the internal cable to the LCD display?  No, I've not taken anything apart yet - though looking at videos it doesn't look *too* bad to take the LCD screen apart.
  • Does this problem also occur in the bios? When you connect an external monitor, is the image displayed correctly on the external monitor?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi AlexE,

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • AlexE
    Hi egydiocoelho and Easwar - thanks for your thoughts.

This seems to be something physical in the screen rather than BIOS or O/S.  As I mentioned, if I twist the screen slightly it resets it - so it seems to be a loose connection somewhere.  I don't think resetting Windows will help.

As you may be able to see in the photos, the screen is severely interfered with so I don't expect the problem to replicate on an external monitor - though I will try next time it does it.

I've been leaving the laptop 'open' and screen vertical, rather than closing it at night and it seems 'better' today, just one little 'fade'.  I will update this post if it does it again and I can connect to an external display - thanks.
  • Is your model the PH517-51 or PH517-61? Can you check the edp cable? Is your laptop under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlexE
    edited April 2021
    Hi egydiocoelho,

Its a PH517-51|Part Number: NH.Q3NSA.002.  I think it is out of warranty, just over 3 years old I believe.

Thanks for the screen removal instructions, similar to what I've found on the internet but a bit different too.  The screen has been 'ok' for a few days, since I've left it open/vertical, or at least not as 'sensitive' to get working again.

Reading a few articles, like this - https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/277528/Screen+only+works+when+pressed+on+at+certain+spots - it sounds likely that if it gets much worse I will have to get a new screen.  I'd be surprised if the EDP cable helped, as I have to twist the top left and right of the screen to get it to work again.

Thanks, Alex
  • Have you tried to dismantle the display?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi AlexE,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

Or

Book the unit for repair service,

• AlexE
    Hi all,

To update this thread, the screen gradually became worse.  From occasionally gently twisting the screen, I found I had to 'bend' the bottom of the screen bezel backwards and forwards near the PREDATOR logo.  Eventually things would stabilize, especially when the laptop warmed up it seemed.

I bought a lovely iFixit toolkit to take the screen apart - recommend!  Using the 'guitar picks' and plastic prizers I prized the bezel apart at the edges, all around even at the back.  This separated the screen nicely with no damage.  I checked the cable, separated it carefully, cleaned it with compressed air and replaced it - but no improvement.

What I found was, gently pressing the DO NOT TOUCH bottom area of the screen actually got the screen working! Relaxing, and the screen would fade again.  This worked even with insulator material, like plastic. Presumably there is a loose 'ground' connection inside this DO NOT TOUCH area.

I put some thick double-sided pads onto the DO NOT TOUCH areas, so the bezel would create some pressure.  I had to adjust the pad thickness so the bezel didn't bend out too much, creating a big gap from the screen.

So far, this seems to be an improvement - though not perfect, still get some fade-outs.  I may have to put thicker or more pads in, or get a replacement screen.
  • @AlexECan you upload a photo of the result? Has the problem been partially resolved?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlexE
    Answer ✓
    An update - after my 'fix' worked for quite a while, the screen started to play up again sadly.  Increasingly I had to push the back-bottom of the screen towards me to get the screen to work, then more and more gently to get it to stay on.  After a while like that it would stay on for most of the day.

In the end I bought this screen for £65 (+NZ import tax) from these guys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bumblesale - who actually seem to be this company https://requireit.co.uk . They seem to be the cheapest and easiest for this replacement screen I could find anywhere in the world.  I hesitated for quite a while as Ebay estimated the postage from UK to NZ (where I am) as £100, but actually going through the order process there was a better & cheaper option of around £20 - a bargain to ship a screen half-way around the world.  Installing the screen was easier than I expected, even after taking the screen apart a couple of times to 'bodge' it previously. 

To my pleasant surprise, the screen seems clearer - not just the dust!  Ever since I bought this laptop, there has always been a lot of 'backlight bloom', especially on black screens.  It made some games look a bit ugly, like Skyrim loading screens.  This new screen seems a lot blacker, with no bloom I've found so far.  The model number seems to be the same as the old one, so I think the old screen was a 'bad' batch, or mishandled a bit during factory install.

egydiocoelho for not replying sooner, but here's a photo of me taking apart the screen just now and you can see the sticky-pads I was using to try and put a bit of pressure on the 'DO NOT TOUCH' area of the screen to make it work.  Its possible if I put some more pads around the back of the screen-bottom (or moved some of the existing ones to the rear) I may have been able to 'fix' the screen again, but I am happier than I expected with this new one :) 

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    AlexE glad you got it sorted i was going to say it would mostly be hardware either the edp cable faulty or the display itself but you have figured it out anyways so  please accept your own answer as solved so everyone with similar issues can find it quickly when searching :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Glad you managed to solve the problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer