No bootable device on Acer Aspire Switch 10 E?

Jeff7899
Jeff7899 Member Posts: 80

Tinkerer

Windows 10 has been extremely slow on this device for me, so I decided to switch to Linux, which would be better suited for my needs. I chose to make a bootable USB for Zorin OS via Rufus, and after live booting onto it with this device and installing the OS without any issues, I restarted my device only to see a No Bootable Device Error shown. I’m using Setup Utility 5.0 btw. Any reason for this?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Unless your BIOS has an option to change from UEFI mode to Legacy mode overlay(which is NOT likely for your model), you must re-partition the emmc drive to GPT scheme (from MBR) and re-install Linux. Legacy mode and MBR partitioning are being phased out in newer systems. Newer systems without this legacy mode overlay, won't recognize an MBR boot drive.and will issue a 'no bootable device' error as you alreayd know. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Jeff7899 said:
    Windows 10 has been extremely slow on this device for me, so I decided to switch to Linux, which would be better suited for my needs. I chose to make a bootable USB for Zorin OS via Rufus, and after live booting onto it with this device and installing the OS without any issues, I restarted my device only to see a No Bootable Device Error shown. I’m using Setup Utility 5.0 btw. Any reason for this?
    Please check if the BIOS detects HDD. Also, share the screenshot
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

By detecting the HDD, do you mean the boot order?
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    By detecting the HDD, do you mean the boot order?
    No, Once you are in the BIOS setup screen in the Information page.. check for HDD and next to it check if it displays any S/N or model name
  • JackE
    Did you try to install Linux alongside Win10? If not, did you repartition the target drive to MBR or GPT? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you try to install Linux alongside Win10? If not, did you repartition the target drive to MBR or GPT? Jack E/NJ 
    No I haven’t tried installing Linux alongside windows 10. However I did repartition the disk image (iso) to MBR. Could this be an issue?
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    JackE said:
    No I haven’t tried installing Linux alongside windows 10. However I did repartition the disk image (iso) to MBR. Could this be an issue?
    In the BIOS what is the BOOT mode selected.?
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

I have secure boot enabled and a supervisory password set
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    I have secure boot enabled and a supervisory password set
    Sorry for the confusion, just wanted to check if Boot mode is set to Legacy or UEFI
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

How would I check? Sorry I am unfamiliar with this as I am mainly a HP User
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    How would I check? Sorry I am unfamiliar with this as I am mainly a HP User
    In Bios towards the left side check for Boot > Here it would display Boot mode and next to it you would see Legacy or UEFI
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    Here is a screenshot of what it shows 
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    Here is a screenshot of what it shows 
    Sorry, i dont see a screenshot
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

I edited the message. Try again
  • Rudy21
    Jeff7899 said:
    I edited the message. Try again
    Thank you..

i see USB cd ROM is set as first boot device.. So, is the OS installed via CD/DVD or a USB HDD.

I also recommend you to change the priority to USB HDD and Press F10 and enter
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Unless your BIOS has an option to change from UEFI mode to Legacy mode overlay(which is NOT likely for your model), you must re-partition the emmc drive to GPT scheme (from MBR) and re-install Linux. Legacy mode and MBR partitioning are being phased out in newer systems. Newer systems without this legacy mode overlay, won't recognize an MBR boot drive.and will issue a 'no bootable device' error as you alreayd know. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Ok I’ll try that, I installed it via a usb flash drive so I’ll try your suggestion and see
  • Jeff7899

Tinkerer

No change. Maybe I should try install the os again With the correct boot order before trying again
  • JackE

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff7899

Tinkerer

Ok if that doesn’t work I’ll start a new topic. Thanks for your support both of you
  • Rudy21
    I simply agree with fellow @JackE suggestions