undervolt settings for the past months now crashes my computer for some reason - PH-317-54

Options
UltraMaxtotheMin
UltraMaxtotheMin Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 2021 in Predator Laptops
My undervolt settings were -95.7. I thought that it would be fine, and it was for a few months. Now it crashes my computer. I don't understand, does anyone know why? Thank you so much in advance!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My undervolt settings were -95.7. I thought that it would be fine, and it was for a few months. Now it crashes my computer. I don't understand, does anyone know why? Thank you so much in advance!
    What is your laptop exact model number? Also undervolting to 95.7% is a bit too much it should only be undervolted to max 97% as the recommended and the first step is that you undervolt to 99% and then go down incrementally by 1%. Just increase you undervolt to 97% and try that first, if your laptop continues to get BSOD's then increase it, simple.

Btw, just a bit about undervolting that you should know:

This is what happens when you undervolt the CPU. First, you are reducing the maximum operating frequency of the processor. Depending on the processor and the voltage change, for example, you might change your 2 Ghz processor to a 1.8 Ghz processor. However, remember that the manufacturer really tested this processor to work at say 2.2 Ghz, having some margin of error. So, your 1.8 Ghz under voltage processor probably is still a 2 GHz processor… but with little margin of error. The only way to know how low you can lower the voltage and test to see if the computer keeps working.

So what is the best way to test how low you can lower the voltage to see if the computer is still working? One obvious test which is a very BAD test it to simply boot the computer. Of course if you lower the voltage and you cannot boot the computer than you have definitely lowered the voltage too much. But if you CAN boot the computer, this DOES NOT mean that you will have a functioning computer. Why? Because when you boot the computer, your processor is probably running at a cool 25 degrees C and is therefore running in its FASTEST thermal operating zone. So, in order to know if your computer will be reliable at the under voltage, you have to have the computer running under some more extreme conditions, where the processor is working at its hardest and generating the maximum amount of heat… and for a sufficiently long time to get the processor up to its maximum operating temperature… around 85 degrees C. If the processor still runs at this temperature than you have found a safe under voltage margin. 

• UltraMaxtotheMin
    Options
    My current laptop model is a PH-317-54. I will do that now and see, thank you very much for the information!
  • StevenGen
    Options
    My current laptop model is a PH-317-54. I will do that now and see, thank you very much for the information!
    Not a problem, as if you do that itwill work, you cant undervolt too much as it crashes your CPU and creates all those problems. 
  • UltraMaxtotheMin
    Options
    Did you mean from -95.7 o -97?
  • StevenGen
    Options
    Did you mean from -95.7 o -97?
    Yes, that is what I meant or go even higher to 98, you should start at 99 and work down, so I would go to 98 and try that, as that should be more than enough to undervolt and keep your CPU cooler.