T272HUL auto source

icedawg
icedawg Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hey all

Is there a way to disable auto source from cycling through the input sources every time the monitor turns on? It drives me bananas. I have a boot menu that I have set to display for only 3 seconds, and the monitor is always cycling through all the sources during that time so it doesn't get displayed. And I frequently swap back and forth between two operating systems, so I'm often restarting my computer, and sure enough, that causes the T272HUL to cycle through the input sources all over again, even though I only ever use DisplayPort.

Drives me bananas. Bananas!

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    icedawg said:
    Hey all

Is there a way to disable auto source from cycling through the input sources every time the monitor turns on? It drives me bananas. I have a boot menu that I have set to display for only 3 seconds, and the monitor is always cycling through all the sources during that time so it doesn't get displayed. And I frequently swap back and forth between two operating systems, so I'm often restarting my computer, and sure enough, that causes the T272HUL to cycle through the input sources all over again, even though I only ever use DisplayPort.

Drives me bananas. Bananas!
    Try changing the auto source options as per the image below

Change the Input type to Display port
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Thanks for the quick reply Rudy

"Input" is already set to "DisplayPort." It still cycles through all the sources when the computer is restarted or first turned on.
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Anyone?

Any electronics gurus out there who could tell me what I need to solder in order to stop this darned monitor from flipping through the sources? I don't care about the warranty; I care about my sanity!
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Can anyone help?
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Any hackers around who could tell me how to modify the firmware to get rid of the annoying auto-flipping through sources?
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Well alright then. So that's how it is. Fine. I'll just have to figure this out myself. "Give a man a fish..." and all that.

I've done some reading on flash memory, and now I'm going to open up the ol' T272HUL, figure out what chip has the programming stored, copy that programming, modify it, and then write it back on that chip. Now, I know what you're thinking, "My God, man! Snap out of it! You're playing god!" And you may be right. But SOMEONE has to do SOMETHING to stop this auto-source-searching INSANITY. And I guess that someone is going to have to be me.

I'll keep you all apprised of my progress. Oh, I'm hoping I can trust you guys to keep all this on the DL! I don't need the Acer HIT squad after me! Already I'm becoming a little paranoid: I swear I keep hearing a clicking sound over the phone, and I keep seeing a white van following me around town...
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

K I'm sure you're all sitting on the edge of your seats, eagerly awaiting the next update from me.

I decided to first experiment on my old Acer T232HL touchscreen monitor b/c I don't use that one anymore. Prying the back off that sucker was no easy feat! After removing the 2 screws, a surprising amount of force was required to pull off the back. I managed to do a pretty good job of cracking the screen. So that makes me pretty nervous doing this on my T272HUL--I don't suppose anyone has any bright ideas on how I could transfer the firmware using the USB ports on the side of the monitor instead?

Anyway, I found a couple of flash chips on the T232HL. There's an MXIC 25L512E and an MXIC 25L4006E. The prior is on the same board as the USB ports, so I'm guessing that may hold the USB firmware; the latter is on a separate board which also has 3 EEPROM chips, so I'm guessing those may hold saved settings. Furthermore, the latter can hold 512KB while the prior only 64KB. Thus, my best guess is the monitor's firmware is on the MXIC 25L4006E chip.

I'm going to purchase a small board that will help transfer the firmware. More to come.
  • icedawg

Tinkerer

Hey all. I'd like to say THANKS for all the support that's been coming in--all the 100's or 1000's of messages & letters & emails I've been receiving from you guys! Honestly though, I'm just a regular guy; I'm no hero. You guys are the real heroes! Stand up and take a bow!

Anyway, the hardware came in that I need to copy the firmware. I'm hoping to have some spare time very soon to try it out. I'll post more soon.