Aspire 5 A515-44G-R26L won't turn on and no LED

Jan123456
Jan123456 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have bought in November 2020 a Aspire 5 A515-44G-R26L and it worked fine without any problems until yesterday when it suddenly won't turn on anymore.
Also, when the charger is connected no LED is shining.

I tried to long press the power button and / or the "battery disconnect"-button (on the back), but nothing works :/

Is there anything left I can try?

Thanks in advanced.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Remove the charger again. Press and hold a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom again, this time for 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in but don't try to turn the machine on until the battery charge LED lights up a steady blue.  This may take up to 8 hours before the charge LED will turn  on. Only then try to turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

Thanks.
    I will try that later and report back :)
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Jan123456,

As JackE said try to do power drain and also try to charge your unit with different charger it may be a charger issue also. 
  • Jan123456

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    I did like JackE explained, but unfortunately it didn't work.
    The machine could not be turned on, and the LED did not light up either :/

I measured the charger, it has an output of 19-20V. It seems ok, but I don't have another one at hand to try.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks
  • JackE
    Try to move the charger's plug around in the laptop jack to see if the LED lights up briefly. It may not be make good contact inside. Look inside the laptop jack with a flashlight to see if slider contacts are visible and press against the plug's outer ring. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

I tried this, but it doesn't work either. No LED lights up.
    I looked inside the  laptop jack and the contacts are visible.
  • JackE
    edited March 2021
    Did you wait 8 hours plugged to see if the charge LED starts to light up or blink? Also, have you had any reason to remove the back cover recently? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

Yes, I had left it plugged in over night.
    No, I had never removed the back cover.
  • JackE
    With the charger plugged in, laptop closed and upside down on a hard surface, start applying moderate pressure with your palm  on various non-vented points on the base cover while watching the battery charge LED on the side to see if it blinks or momentarily lights when you apply pressure. Some  of these laptops have a safety interlock switch on the mainboard that cuts all power to the mainboard if the base cover isn't on tight enough.  If you do get a momentary LED flash, then remove the charger and try to tighten up the 11 basecover screws to see if it will solve the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

Thanks for the quick responses.
    This hasn't worked either...
    Do you know where this switch should be exactly located?

• JackE
    The spring-loaded normally off safety switch is usually (but not always) located around the memory socket as in the area enclosed by the ellipse below. Some mainboards with missing switches only have two solder bumps where the switch would've located during manufacture. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

Ok, I applied some pressure near the charging and usb ports but it had no effect...
  • JackE
    If the charger's output Voc does check out at about 19vdc, any further suggestions could compromise the warranty. Accordingly, I suggest that you arrange for a warranty repair at this link as soon as possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jan123456

Tinkerer

Thanks for your effort. I arranged the repair.
    you may close this issue now.
  • JackE
    Please let us know how the warranty service works out. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Zyong
    Zyong Member Posts: 3 New User
    I just received my laptop yesterday and I think I am facing the same problem. The model that I've purchased is Aspire 5 A514-53-32TN. The instruction says I need to plug in to initiate the laptop. I've plugged it in, the charger LED is not shining. I've tried inserting a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole for about 30 - 60 seconds but still nothing change. Do I really need to charge it for about 8 hours before starting it?
  • JackE
    Before turning it on the laptop's battery charge LED should turn from steady orange to steady blue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Zyong,

I suggest you to start a new topic.