which should I get? AMD or Intel aspire 5 AN515 55 78

SilvaGi
SilvaGi Member Posts: 277 Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I'm Getting a Aspire 5 but unsure which to get.
Id like to do some light gaming and light web browsing ( no more than 8 tabs open at once)

I like a snappy experience and enjoy high framerate but with cool temps!!!! Old nitro need a underclock to keep cool during gaming.

So in Aus there's two options from a store Im buying from, both aspire 5 and on sale 700aud. AMD A515-44-R8RH. Intel is A515-56-52SH.

1st is AMD R5 4500u APU with 6 cores 6 threads, 15w TDP, Vega 6 igpu (1500mhz), base clock 2.4 and turbo 4.0. Released Jan 2020.

2nd is Intel i5 1135G7 with 4 cores 8 threads/hyperthreads, 28W TDP, think it's iris or UHD graphics turbo to 1.3ghz. base .4 GHz. 2.4 base clock and 4.2 turbo. Released September 2020.

AMD is zen2 7nm and Intel 10 plus nm.

I'm not so good at understanding the data but from what I get the AMD is better for gaming while Intel will be quicker web browser. Is that right? I seen in review you want to upgrade to dual channel to get more performance as stock soldered 8gb is slow. I'm confident I can do this upgrade. Repaste is easy too if need be.

So which is better for me?
Who's got better graphics?

Thanks for your help!

SilvaGi.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Please Click Yes if Ive answered your question.
Current: Custom Desktop Build (5800X, 16GB, 3070ti)
Previous: Aspire 5 A515 44 R8RH
(R5 4500u, 8GB, AMD Radeon Vega 6 iGPU)
Previous: Nitro 5 AN515 55 (i7,16GB,1650ti)
Thanks SilvaGi!

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    AMD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,693 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    SilvaGi said:
    Id like to do some light gaming and light web browsing ( no more than 8 tabs open at once)

I like a snappy experience and enjoy high framerate but with cool temps!!!! Old nitro need a underclock to keep cool during gaming.

So in Aus there's two options from a store Im buying from, both aspire 5 and on sale 700aud. AMD A515-44-R8RH. Intel is A515-56-52SH.

1st is AMD R5 4500u APU with 6 cores 6 threads, 15w TDP, Vega 6 igpu (1500mhz), base clock 2.4 and turbo 4.0. Released Jan 2020.

2nd is Intel i5 1135G7 with 4 cores 8 threads/hyperthreads, 28W TDP, think it's iris or UHD graphics turbo to 1.3ghz. base .4 GHz. 2.4 base clock and 4.2 turbo. Released September 2020.

I'm not so good at understanding the data but from what I get the AMD is better for gaming while Intel will be quicker web browser. Is that right? I seen in review you want to upgrade to dual channel to get more performance as stock soldered 8gb is slow. I'm confident I can do this upgrade. Repaste is easy too if need be.

Thanks for your help!

SilvaGi.

Firstly SilvaGi, the specs of the two are very similar and it’s a matter of your choice? The specs of the two are as follows:

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 4500U - # of CPU Cores 6 / # of Threads 6 / Base Clock 2.3GHz / Max Boost Clock Up to 4.0GHz / Total L3 Cache 8MB and comes with the integrated graphics of the AMD Radeon™ Graphics has a Graphics Frequency of 1500 MHz
    • Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor - # of CPU Cores 4 / # of Threads 8 / Base Clock 2.4GHz / Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz / cache 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache and comes with the integrated graphics of the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics has a Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.30 GHz

As you can see the Aspire 5 A515-55-70BH and its your choice between the two different  CPU’s that are pretty much the same and also the same in their integrated graphics specs. As far as the 'Use Benchmark' the AMD is faster at a ranked 210th of 1295 to the Intel at ranked 236th of 1295 so for your gaming the AMD is better but, the Intel is a better CPU overall for what you want. These laptops are not a hard core gaming laptops and you will get appropriate performance.

Btw, I’ve always considered the Intel CPU’s a better overall processor especially as an OEM option (this is only my opinion) in as far as a laptops is concerned, as they perform better overall and are more reliable, yes some gamers don’t agree with me (as they use AMD for extreme overclocking) but, Intel have brushed up their act overall in as far as overclocking and performance but, that mostly applies to AMD CPU's and their desktops gaming applications where you have a far better and a much more varied options in cooling CPU’s, like with water cooling and even extremes like hydrogen cooling etc etc which you don’t have or can't do with laptop unless you completely restrict them as a laptop and make them into a desktop that defeats the purpose of being a laptop. 

First see how the OEM laptop performs whichever you get? Then and if it overheats and its under warranty then send it back to Acer Service and get them to repaste and/or solve the overheating problem, don't open it and/o touch it, then, if it doesn’t overheat under warranty and it overheats after the warranty expires then, repaste the CPU with a high quality paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut that is considered the best and also you can do other mods (which I won’t advise you on now as I wouldn’t want you to lose your warranty), as under warranty you are only permitted to open your laptop for a RAM upgrade and/or a hard drive upgrade but even that I would ask Acer if that is allowable especially when a new laptop like the Aspire 5 has to be opened completely to do a RAM and a hard drive upgrade. Good luck and hope this helps.

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    AMD iGPU is better.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

Answers

• JackE
    AMD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SilvaGi
    Whos got better graphics and temps?
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    AMD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SilvaGi
    @batmalin what do you think? AMD better for light gaming? How's the iGPUs compare? 
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,693 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    SilvaGi said:

Thanks for your help!

SilvaGi.

Firstly SilvaGi, the specs of the two are very similar and it’s a matter of your choice? The specs of the two are as follows:

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 4500U - # of CPU Cores 6 / # of Threads 6 / Base Clock 2.3GHz / Max Boost Clock Up to 4.0GHz / Total L3 Cache 8MB and comes with the integrated graphics of the AMD Radeon™ Graphics has a Graphics Frequency of 1500 MHz
    • Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor - # of CPU Cores 4 / # of Threads 8 / Base Clock 2.4GHz / Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz / cache 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache and comes with the integrated graphics of the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics has a Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.30 GHz

As you can see the Aspire 5 A515-55-70BH and its your choice between the two different  CPU’s that are pretty much the same and also the same in their integrated graphics specs. As far as the 'Use Benchmark' the AMD is faster at a ranked 210th of 1295 to the Intel at ranked 236th of 1295 so for your gaming the AMD is better but, the Intel is a better CPU overall for what you want. These laptops are not a hard core gaming laptops and you will get appropriate performance.

Btw, I’ve always considered the Intel CPU’s a better overall processor especially as an OEM option (this is only my opinion) in as far as a laptops is concerned, as they perform better overall and are more reliable, yes some gamers don’t agree with me (as they use AMD for extreme overclocking) but, Intel have brushed up their act overall in as far as overclocking and performance but, that mostly applies to AMD CPU's and their desktops gaming applications where you have a far better and a much more varied options in cooling CPU’s, like with water cooling and even extremes like hydrogen cooling etc etc which you don’t have or can't do with laptop unless you completely restrict them as a laptop and make them into a desktop that defeats the purpose of being a laptop. 

First see how the OEM laptop performs whichever you get? Then and if it overheats and its under warranty then send it back to Acer Service and get them to repaste and/or solve the overheating problem, don't open it and/o touch it, then, if it doesn’t overheat under warranty and it overheats after the warranty expires then, repaste the CPU with a high quality paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut that is considered the best and also you can do other mods (which I won’t advise you on now as I wouldn’t want you to lose your warranty), as under warranty you are only permitted to open your laptop for a RAM upgrade and/or a hard drive upgrade but even that I would ask Acer if that is allowable especially when a new laptop like the Aspire 5 has to be opened completely to do a RAM and a hard drive upgrade. Good luck and hope this helps.

• SilvaGi
    Thank you @StevenGen for your detailed answer. Since you say they have similar grapchics power and its preference now, Out of those two laptops do you know which has better display and battery life? my now sold 2020 nitro 5 had pretty poor display so would like to know. It's hard to find reviews on specific models but I know the TDP on AMD is 15w and Intel is ( I think) 28W.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Thanks SilvaGi!

• SilvaGi
    Okay so AMD 10hrs and Intel 7 hrs.
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    AMD iGPU is better.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158