Can my acer aspire 5 (A515-52G-56K4) play 4k on a 4k monitor?

DDJ
DDJ Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer Aspire 5 (A515-52G-56K4) laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor of 1.6GHz, a NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics card with 2GB VRAM and 8GB RAM. I recently bought a Samsung lu28e570ds which can play 4k at 60Hz but is my laptop capable of playing 4k, considering I have a HDMI 2.0 (or 2.1)?

Also I have a displayport on my monitor but only hmdi on my laptop. Is it better to use a displayport-to-hdmi cable?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Sorry, HDMI is v1.4b. Guaranteed supported resolutions are shown below. While the GPU may be capable of higher performance, the external video port is not guaranteed to do so. Better to use HDMI direct, passive hdmi-to-dp adapter won't help. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DDJ
    DDJ Member Posts: 2 New User
    So it's possible my laptop can play 2K or 4k resolutions and there is no use in buying a displayport-to-hdmi cable. I better buy a hdmi 2.1 cable?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Your HDMI port is version 1.4b. Buying a 2.1 cable won't change the port version. You should be able to run the external monitor at 1080p at 60Hz. You may actually do a bit better but only 1080p at 60Hz is guaranteed.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ